Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Slipping, Day I Get It Back!!

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  drunk on diesel 
#1 ·
Went and picked up my truck today from a local trans shop that was recommended to me by quite a few people... They were doing a "bulletproof" rebuild..... Aftermarket clutch's and bands, transgo shift kit, front and rear planetary, tranny cooler flush, heavy duty master rebuild kit... and a cr70x-s1hd... never heard of this torque converter,, anyone have any issue's with it??

#4 ·
they say they test drove it, but by the way they talked it was only to look for leaks... i called they told me to bring it in monday... 1 year 12,000 mile warranty, it's only been a day, hopefully they will back up there work lol

#6 ·
It's a little of both, the converter held for the first day but now i can feel it starting to weaken and i think it's the bands that are causing the slipping in from 3rd to 4th, i could be wrong, it's going back up there Monday, we'll see what they say. I just figured when they said "bulletproof" and talked up the trans i wouldn't have this issue, lets just hope they back up there work.

#7 ·
How do you feel a convertor thats starting to weaken, is it slipping in lock-up? There is not a band involved in 3rd or 4th gear. The direct clutch releases, o/d overunning clutch dis-engages and o/d clutch engages. Does it slip or is it a flare up between the shift?

Anyway give the shop a chance, you just might have a bulletproof trans, chit happens and maybe someone made an honest mistake somewhere in the build.

#8 ·
sometimes when hard accel from a stop it'll start slipping... then when shifting into 4th i have to let off the throttle. Also when in OD then accel hard it shifts to 3rd and won't shift till 4th until i let off the throttle.

#10 ·
I had the transmission looked at.... he said that it wasn't getting enough fuel. I don't understand that, it shifts fine in every other gear. I guess we will find out.

#18 ·
I had the transmission looked at.... he said that it wasn't getting enough fuel. I don't understand that, it shifts fine in every other gear. I guess we will find out.
SAY WHAT... no fuel means no power which means... it should shift just fine... So what there saying is the tranny needs more fuel to it can be worked harder?

Tell the shop pay for my truck to have more fuel or build the tranny so it works for MY truck :doh:

#12 ·
does anyone have any idea on how he could say it's fuel related??

#14 ·
never thought such a highly recommended place could throw someone around like this, guess ill keep fighting it. thanks

#16 ·
I work at the local napa, all the local mechanics use them and swear by them...

#20 ·
Ya i made sure to ask them if he had ever messed with a built trans.... they said yes, he's built tranny's for local lumber companys, etc. that haul thousands of lbs and have no issues, lets just hope i have the same luck

#21 ·
i appreciate the opinions guys, maybe once i tell them i have more then just my opinion they can or will do something about it. Another question, when installing a shift kit (transgo) will it have a firmer shift??? Mine doesn't really hit gears very hard when shifting

#23 ·
Ya, im not that type of guy lol. i get alot of people like that come into the store, i know thats not a helpful thing to do :)

#26 ·
you should see some of the lumber workers trucks around here... honestly pretty impressive, plus they have to haul thousands of lbs daily, if they can hold up to that abuse they should hold alot.

#27 ·
at stock power? sure...

a factory transmission in a factory power truck will hold up to a lot too

you've got injectors, DV's, plate, 35's, etc. just saying I hope it works out for you... kid at home had the local tranny shop build him a "bulletproof" tranny... he tore it up in 3 months. If builders aren't familiar with diesel performance, their definition of bulletproof may be WAY different than yours and mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.