Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1995 12V build. Looking for combo help.

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  BigRigTech 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie to this forum.:S:....Stuart is my name, I'm a licensed truck tech for the local department of transportation. I have the same handle at oilburners.net with will over 2000 posts over there. I will confess - I'm a blue blooded Ford man but I'm a Cummins fan as well thanks to my factory training and engine experience....I want to put my old school 12V into a 99 or newer 2wd, reg cab super duty body. I also work on Detroit, CAT, International and Mercedes diesels. I have a 92 F350 cab and chassis 4x4 that I built with a 6.9IDI, plow and dump box. Used to be a 460 BB truck. I also have a 63 Mercury meteor with a 351W/T5, 361HP/378ftlbs....I'm a hopeless gearhead.:party018:

I have a 95 12V from a Ford school bus, it was rebuilt before I got it and has very little use since the rebuild. 190HP/425 stock. P-pumped. I have piled up almost all the Dodge parts needed for the Ford swap but I want to bump up the power before it finds a new home. I would like to see 300rwhp for a start and I was hoping you guys could help me with a proven specific parts combo to make this happen....Stuff like fuel plate, injectors, turbo housing and etc. A best bang for the buck list as money doesn't flow like water in my house - we have 3 small kids...LOL.... I will post some pics of my engine and parts tonight so you can see what I'm starting with.:thumbsup: I have some questions about other parts and their limits as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Read the beginners threads and do some searching. You will find a lot of useful info, a lot of opinions and a fair share of B.S.

#4 ·
300HP for cheap would be good, ideally I would like to make a 500HP daily driver out of this in the future but for now I want to take baby steps as money allows. My first thoughts were a new fuel plate, pump tinkering, governor spring and fuel rack travel plug...Two questions - What is the safe HP limit for the stock head gasket and head bolts? And - what kind of HP can the stock injectors support?

My CPL #1551.
My turbo numbers are kit 3802778rx, assy 3534923, serial 1154921....It's a low mount manifold to the rear, probably good for clearance but poor for performance, I have a 96 Dodge manifold here as well. I have a 92 clutch, PP, FW, 2wd Getrag 5spd and trans adapter. I also have a 96 clutch, PP and FW...With a rebuild how much HP can the Getrag stand up to? I appreciate any input, I work on engines daily but diagnosing, repairing and rebuilding is different than bumping up the performance...99% of the stuff I bolt on is stock replacement - not for HP.

#5 ·
I would go ahead and throw the truck manifold on. As far as a safe HP number for headgasket & and head studs... There's really not one. If it's in good shape, which it should be from being in a bus, you'll be fine with the "mild" mods you have planned.

As for the plate, I would recommend starting with a #10. Like GAmes said earlier, you can learn almost everything you need to out of the Beginners Thread that's Stickied at the top of this page.

Oh, and that valve cover is awesome, given your project.

#6 · (Edited)
I started reading through the beginners thread tonight - lots of info to absorb...LOL.....As for the manifold, I have to look at the turbo to make sure it can be orientated to suit the dodge manifold...My engine and all the junk in the pics cost me a grand total of $590 Canadian so far....I traded the air compressor and 5-ton clutch, flywheel and flywheel housing for most of it.:thumbsup: The Ford valve cover really stumps some people and they really get puzzled when the see the Ford part number on the Cummins dataplate.:shock: The engine is bored .020 over size - my only concern is what they used for pistons. I have a buddy at the rebuild shop where this was done so I need to call hom with the tag number to find out more.

#7 ·
I read through the beginners thread, I will try some pump mods, timing check and a #10 fuel plate for starters until I have some money for injectors....I've never heard this engine run so my first project is to build a test stand next week to fire this thing up on the shop floor. I wanted to build a test stand anyways as I build small-block Fords at home for my own projects and my buddies so I might as well make it universal....I have a Ford IDI diesel rad here that I saved for it. My timing is 11.5* according to the tag, what would be a reasonable number to bump it ahead to for my initial setup?

#10 ·
:confused013: Mine has a push rod that runs off a cam lobe. It will support 500+. If you have something different it is anyone's guess.

#11 ·
Mine would be the same, I haven't had it off so I just assumed it was rocker arm driven like a gasser style pump...My bad. 500HP eh.....No worries about replacing that then....LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.