Cummins Diesel Forum banner

putting a 12v cummins in a chevy

12K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  MTman_777 
#1 ·
has anyone put a 12v cummins in a mid eighties chevy? if so could anyone direct me to tech site to get some info on it? thanks

#2 ·
theres a few of these in the conversions part of this site lots of info should be super easy to find

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Use the crossmember from Avalanche (have to remove stock one). With the Avalanche X-member you do not need to put a body lift on the truck. It drops the engine low enough in the frame. Then depending on which transmission you are going to auto or manual. Manual is really easy just have to drill new tranny crossmember holes then use the spacers on the bolts and just put them on the underside of the frame. You can use Square tube to help with mounting the tranny to the crossmeber.

That is the simplest way to do it. Then just make it run.

#9 ·
I think you shouldn't worry about websites, and fab everything from scratch.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
As big a POS that a Dodge is, is a Chevy or Ford REALLY any better? At least with the Dodge, everything was engineered at the factory, and typically works well.

I don't mean to blast you guys that have done conversions into C's or F's, but the electrical, vibrations, etc. would drive me nuts.

#12 ·
well the electrical is very easy for swapping a 12v in it is only 4 wire that have to be rerouted and connected. Since the old trucks don't have pcm's and are just bare components makes it easy. For the vibration issue if everything is balanced the way it is supposed to be it will be no different then the newer trucks.

#13 ·
I don't experience any vibrations, and I even used the factory 6.5L motor mounts. Wiring was a cinch! And even if your conversion turns out worse than a Dodge, it'll always be better to you. You'll only feel what I'm saying if you do it!:thumbsup:

#14 · (Edited)
:agree2: got 40k miles on my conversion, and everyone asks me what Id take for it,,,,, cant be bought,,, I cant buy what ive built here,,,,,, even with the 24v in there the wireing was only 6 wires. Most of these "Dodge" guys are just in love with the billy goat balls they wish they had...... I love my sleeper, @ 65mph when a Ford or Dodge tries to walk off and leave me, the stacks puff black and I keep up with them till they figure out that this old Army truck's got a Cummins..... if you still need conversion info, PM me,,, got a couple of files that I can email with the good stuff in them.... alteranator regulation, fuel presures/filter/pump syst, dual tanks/crossover valves, NV4500 to NP205 for passenger drop 4x4 etc.

Good luck with it,,, its a Helllll of a project but you'll be pleased with the results.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.