Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Clutch help

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  poper08 
#1 ·
Hey guys, got a clutch question for you.
From what i can deduce I have a throwout bearing gone bad, maybe even a pilot bearing. There is a huge amount of high pitched squeaking when i push the clutch pedal in or let it out while in or out of gear. Does that sound like what it is?
That being said, I think its wise to replace the clutch now while replacing the bearings. The truck still has its original clutch with 214 xxx on it.
My main question is what kind of clutch should i go with? I have done some mods for performance, timing, gauges, 4k springs. etc. Would and OEM clutch work fine with that much hp? I dont haul abnormal amounts, dont race etc. Just need a good clutch without having to pay through the nose. What would ya'll recommend? or is there a good article i can read up on?
Thanks,

#2 ·
Can you tell if the clutch is slipping? With that many miles and having to take the tranny out anyway to get to the bearing, yes I would replace the clutch while you are there. Now, what do you do with the truck and how long have you been driving it with these mods? Chances are if it's been holding for now with how you drive it, a stock one would be ok, but I would at least get a non-oem/aftermarket upgrade single disc from someone like South Bend or Valair. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
#4 ·
Cool thanks.
It doesnt slip unless you really mash is down, or going up a really steep grade while hauling and mash. Never while normal driving though.
Not a whole lot of hauling, mostly just a 16' enclosed trailer with all my tools, once a week or so. Sometimes i haul other trailers with 10 xxx or so on it. A couple of weeks ago I hauled 23-25 xxx lbs and it did fine. So the clutch could probly go a little more, but if i keep driving it the bearing will probly freeze up, and not interested in that,,:)
What is the difference between a double disc and single?
I also hear southbend clutches are really tight. is that true and is valair and different?

#6 ·
In that case I would definately go with an after market clutch. The difference between a double disc and single disc, is just what is says, a single is one clutch disc, which is good for mild hp and mild use. And a double disc is 2 clutch discs, more for mild-higher hp/towing heavier. If I were you I would maybe look into the organic double disc Valair offers. Don't be afraid to call Valair or South Bend, tell them what you have and they will definately point you in the right direction. Of the clutches should come with eveything you need to install, unless you want upgraded hydraulics, but they will be able to tell you about this as well. :thumbsup:

My favorite line I hate hear from my salesman, it's a pretty straight forward job. It's not too bad of a job, there are some write ups on here if you search around. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Hey, good to read about another high mileage clutch. I have a 96 model with 272,250 on my original clutch. It is still strong and I do some light towing with it. So far so good but today I noticed a sound that I have not heard before. I hear it with the clutch pedal up and it goes away when I step on the pedal. It is not very loud but I did notice it. I will have to stay on top of this. So far no signs of slipping.

I am going to replace the clutch myself when the time comes. It may be time to start making some phone calls.

#9 ·
Nice Job E TEX RAM on the long lasting clutch. It must be all stock? Your problem sounds just like mine when it started making some noise. SO its probably your throwout bearing.
Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with the Valair single disk 550 hp 1000ft lb torque
and a hydraulic upgrade. That should do the trick.

#10 ·
I have my suspicions that my clutch is starting to slip; nothing obvious yet as its winter and the "was that ice or my clutch slipping?" doubt is always in my head, but with 255,000 on the stock clutch, I won't be surprised the day it stops moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.