Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1996 Wont Start

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sean_mckay88 
#1 ·
Hi, I am working on a buddys plow truck and am pretty much stumped! It has 450000kms on it and he recently had it idling outside for about 15 minutes then it just died... Things I have done are, drained the fuel tank and put in new fuel, ensured fuel shutoff solonoid is working properly, changed fuel/water seperator. I filled the seperator up and the truck fired up but would not rev past 1200rpm and was smoking alot then it sputtered and died, checked filter and it was still full, I am getting fuel to the inlet of the injection pump but not alot.
I am pretty sure the lift pump has never been changed could it be possible that is the problem? We purchased a new one but it looks like a fun job to change and I want to be sure before I do that... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
It is possible it's the lift pump. People on here say that it's much easier to change if you pull the filter and intake horn off. I changed mine without pulling at least the intake horn, but it was no fun. If you can rig up a gauge setup to check fuel pressure after the lift pump, that would be your best bet.

#5 ·
Before you pull the lift pump, see if the pump is pumping. Disconnect the hose at the fuel inlet. Attach a clear hose about 5-6 ft long. Fill the hose with clean fuel and clamp it to the hood so it stands vertical. Now you can pump the primer botton and see if the fuel level goes down. Refill the hose and crank the engine with the starter. The fuel level should go down in both cases.

If the lift pump is working, stick the hose in a container of clean fuel. I used a gallon milk jug. Secure it in a corner of the fender. Try to start the engine. You may need to crack a injector line or two.

When I replaced my fuel hoses, I had a hard time starting the engine. I used this technique and it started right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.