Cummins Diesel Forum banner

alternative to rebuilding engine

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  jamesh23 
#1 ·
I finally found a cummins I can afford 3 grand for a 94, 1000 down and 200 a month, it has 297,000 miles, the guy says it needs an engine rebuild, how do i make sure of this? and what can I do thats a little cheaper to make the truck last longer? its a regular cab 4x4, 5 speed.

#4 ·
You need to find out why the guy says it needs a rebuild. Many a person has assumed their engine is bad when oil light starts coming and gauge drops to zero at idle.

#5 ·
have you looked at the truck yet? the donor truck that i picked up the previous owner figured it needed a rebuild because of no power, turns out the turbo was worn out and only made a max of 8lbs of boost with no load.

#6 ·
first identify the actual issue, instead of just throwing money at it.

a couple of gauges (boost/pyro/fuel pressure) and a manometer will pretty much nail down the exact issue. It may be something as simple as a bad valve guide or air leak in the fuel system or it may need a rebuild.

#7 ·
alright got a little more info about it now, it used to be a farm truck till one of my buddies bought it about 3 years ago, it had a flat bed and some stuff missin he bought it for 5000, put an actual bed on it, welded up the cracked frame it had, and put in like $2000 worth of parts, put a stack on it, a new turbo and some other things, than sold it to a man he works with who had it for about 4 months and he drove it pretty hard, they also turned up the truck to almost its max, than he sold it to my other friend for 4000, he hardly drives it.

its a 5 speed
4x4
rclb
297,000 miles

it has an hx40 turbo on it? but I guess its only pushin 22lbs of boost,
needs the engine rebuilt
it needs ball joints
it burns oil
someone broke the smoke screw? or fuel screw or somethin
it does run
all the vacuum lines are disconnected from the tcase so the 4 wheel drive doesnt work right now, and its missing the front drive shaft
and I heard it gets death wobble pretty bad if your going around 70 and hit a bump or somethin.

for $3000 you cant expect much though, im fine with it needin some work, It wont be my daily driver yet.

#8 ·
Not sure of your location, but I only paid $2500 for my truck and all it needed was a KDP tab, a thorough cleaning, and routine maintenance stuff. Has 263K miles. Virgin P7100 for tuning.

I did have to look diligently on craigslist for a few months but I did find it.

#9 ·
im located in colorado, sucks cuz around here, 94s sell for 6000 all day, I seen one that was rusted pretty bad in town, and was missin the bed, 480,xxx miles on it, and it sold for 5500 the first day he had it for sale.

#10 · (Edited)
Hmm, at that price, you might get one in better shape if you fly (or drive) somewhere and drive/tow it home.

Of course, if you're handy, and don't mind tearing into the thing, sounds like a great learning experience. The way I get acquainted with a new piece of equipment is to disassemble it and see what makes it tick, then put it back together after cleaning and adjusting everything and replacing the broken parts :D

#11 ·
there is nothing on that truck that you can't learn to fix yourself. all you have to do is stay on this forum and search your a$$ off. if you can't find it by searching then ask. there's a bunch of smart guys that hang out here and are willing to help.

#12 ·
id like to use it as a learning experience, that would be fun. I was planning on taking diesel mechanics, but I took auto instead this year, im only 18 so it will be fun, thanks guys, im just waitin on him to get the title, than ill give him the money. Ill get some pictures up on here when I get it to, thanks a lot guys.

#14 ·
Dont even consider this rig

ham-fisted hillbillies that rod these trucks like that, should be given time.

spend 8500 from a reputable dealer with carfax and pay your 200 a month on something that you will be pleased with even proud of and then you can save that money and time you would spend on a junker
for a house

#15 ·
you can expect more for $3k, you just might have to venture out of your little home town...

I bought a 98 12v with 200k on it earlier this year for $2600... last month I bought an 03 QC dually for $4500... yes, both need a little work, but not major engine repair, and the only payments I made were the one where I paid for the vehicle in full

#19 ·
Well first of all I forgot to say it does run and drive. Second off yes it has been driven pretty hard. Also I would definately want a 4wd and a 5 speed, I have looked on craigslist and ebay and the local classifieds, cheapest cummins I could find had over 300,000 miles and they wanted 6000. I would try and find a dealer as well but I dont have a job, im going to school full time, from 8am to 4pm. My mom is also out of work. I will check out that 1st gen, thanks. And to be honest that 98 12 valve and the 03 dually just sound like you found some really great deals, like I said I cannot find one for under 4500 anywhere, well I found one for 3000 in florida lol.

Ill keep lookin though, thanks so far guys.

also forgot to say, main thing is I dont have 3000 cash, just 2000 till I finish school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.