Cummins Diesel Forum banner

oem harmonic balancer?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  96 12valve 
#1 ·
anyone know where I could find an oem style harmonic balancer? I know the better ones are the Fluidampers, but honestly, right now I can't afford it, and I'll be needing to replace mine soon. I've tried autozone and advanced, but they don't list them for sale, just the tools. Thanks!

#3 ·
technically its actually a damper, not a harmonic balancer. That might help in your search...

I have yet to come across any stock replacements other than from cummins, but i havent been really searching for an alternative myself. Maybe just call up cummins and see what they are worth, sometimes their pricing is actually pretty good.

#4 ·
Buddy of mine, who's a mechanic here in Indy, one of the best gurus around for the 12vers, pointed out the rubber coming out of it, and let me know it was going to need to be replaced soon.

#5 ·
Maybe your buddy isn't aware of the servicability criteria. There are alignment marks on the inner and outer pieces. They are hard to see, about 1/8th inch long on the front face. If they are in line the damper is good. FWIW, I am still running the original. Just checked it about 3k miles ago:thumbsup:

#6 ·
I'm working on my truck now after the KDP did it's job on me and noticed that the rubber on my damper was also looking pretty bad. After reading your post GAmes, I feel much better. I'll look for the two marks tomorrow (hopefully they are indented and not just painted on because I had to do some serious cleaning on it to get the gunk and oil off of it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.