Cummins Diesel Forum banner

rear seal leak

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  craigl 
#1 ·
hi. i have a 1995 dodge ram 2500 4x4 club cab cummins . it leaks oil (about a gallon or so a week) from the back of motor/trany.im assuming its the rear seal.a guy told me i dont have to drop trany to replace seal .is this true? is there another spot oil could be commimg from? thanks

#2 ·
Sadly, yes it does have to come out, or at least slid back quite a bit (so it may as well just be rolled right out, out of the way)

Is it auto or manual?

Regardless, once the trans is out, pull the flywheel/flexplate and you will see a small aluminum housing that holds the rear main seal. Its usually best to leave the aluminum seal housing installed as it can be a bytch to get out and be another potential leak in the future. just yank the seal out of the housing and pound your new one in, it should come with a tool to set the seal to the proper depth

#4 ·
Thats a lot of oil for a seal. I'd make sure that was the source before dropping a tranny. These things leak oil from front to rear and it usually ends up working its way back to the lowest point (bellhousing) and drips. I thought my rear seal was bad too. It ended up being the vac/power steering pump.

#7 ·
A lot of oil will escape a blown out tappet cover gasket too. Then it leaks down the side of the block and goes to the rear of the engine. From there it goes down the block adapter and appears to be leaking from the bell housing.

Reactions: craigl
#8 ·
where are the most common spots that these 12 valves leak? i know i have a leak from my #6 valve cover but i also know that i have a leak underneath. I want to take a look at my truck soon and see how i can fix my leak. i also hear that its hard to truly fix these motors' leaks. people, being sarcastic, tell me that if its not leaking then there is something wrong with it. is there any way to prevent future leaks or am i going to have to change seals, valve covers and vacuum pumps every couple months?

#9 ·
i have read about this tappet cover and it is all oil weat under my p pump.how do i know if it is tappet seal.thanks

#11 ·
i think i fixed my trany problem with a new filter.will know tomarrow.as for my oil leak all six valve cover seals are leaking.i took one cover off and it was wet on metal and seal. i'm going to buy and install new set tomarrow evening .will post how it went.now i noticed i have very small amount antifreeze on my bell housing.don't see it anyware else.any common spots for this? thanks everybody.

#12 ·
my vak/power steering pump is all wet will it leak out about 3 quart oil in 15 houres or so of driving.thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.