Cummins Diesel Forum banner

put in gear and wont move for a min or so????

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  monsterB 
#1 ·
ok i have heard this is the TQ filling issue but i put a shift kit in with the manual fill option and the truck still does the same as it always done for years now.

start truck cold and let it warm up for 10 min or so put in gear and wont move, raise engine rpm and it goes starts to move, sometimes it will go back into a neutral state and i give is gas and then it goes back into gear and goes. this prob is still the same after a shift kit, new fluid and filter and a new tps. i replaced those for other reasons just stating they are new. so my questions is why does it do this? i have owned other dodge trucks and one that did the same thing and a couple that didnt, you could put them into gear totally cold and they would work fine. any ideas? i know i can be the only one with this issue and while its not a huge prob it is annoying!!!

#3 ·
i have done that it it doesnt seem to make much difference. is there a way to fix this permanently. its not the worst thing in the world but just annoying sometimes.

i may remove the check ball in the tranny line near the radiator, i removed the other checkball by the heat exchanger but left the one in the front, maybe it would help to have it gone as well??

#4 ·
That just screams to low on tranny fluid, but I'm sure you checked that a million times. :confused013: Have you tried to put a little extra in to see if that works? I would call a good transmission shop around ya to ask them.

#6 ·
seems common on these trannies, i had a 95 v10 that did the same thing, fluid level was fine too and it was bone stock tranny. the shift kit made a difference in mine for sure and i did the tps cause it was haveing funky 3rd andOD shifts and thats fixed now, but the waiting to go have always been there since i got the truck. maybe an upgrade tranny pump is in order when i buy a TC for it

#7 ·
If dropping in neutral at startup, counting to five, then drop in gear doesn't work, then it sounds like there is a problem somewhere. You could possibly be starting off in limp mode when dead cold. This could especially be true is the valve body is upping pressure. The cold fluid will have a higher pressure and make the pressure sensor in your RE trans send a signal to the pcm it doesn't like, hence limp mode when cold. When warm, does trans start and go like it should?

#8 ·
when warm its fine, this is only at cold startup, summer or winter doesnt make a difference just when its been sitting overnight

#9 ·
Stock - type converter? I let mine warm up for 5 mins every cold day with it in neutral, and don't have a problem with it. If I hop in it cold and try to run, it does the same thing as yours. Not seeing any leaks on the ground when you park? Do you check your level hot or cold?

#10 ·
I'm having similar problems, what I do for cold or start-ups after sitting is start the truck, give it a second too balance cylinders then give it a few quick revs or hold at about 1500 then quick rev to 2000, a couple of these works every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.