Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Powersteering and brakes groaning

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Shainer 
#1 ·
I just got done doing head studs on my 97 and drove it home and it was doing just fine. I started to full out of my driveway and the ps and braks started to groan so i pulled it into my garage and it was leaking fluid out of the cap. Any ideas i am going to wash it a couple times tomarrow and hope for the best but why is it shooting out the cap? Thanks for any help you guys.

#5 ·
It could also be that the little nitrogen filled bottle in the hydroboost has failed.

#7 ·
another question for you guys i filled up my ps and tried it again it was foaming out of the cap again. Excuse me if this is a dumb question but when your you try to wash it out where is the return line and do you leave it off the whole time or fill it then put the hose back on and mess with it? Thanks guys

#8 ·
There is a return line but its almost certainly rock hard. You would have to cut it off and install a new line. Best is usually to get the front end on jack stands and turn the wheel to full locks while filling it. I suction the old fluid out. Pour new fluid in while turning the wheels. Do I run a couple of quarts through. Keep in mind if your pump is out or going out the cavitation may not stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.