Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Plate Change Question

675 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Motorboat 
#1 ·
I have been towing (heavy) successfully with a #100 plate for a long time. Many posters recommend a # 10. What are the advantages of a 10 and will I have to retune my AFC if I change?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
The plate is a cruise control for your egts.
If you are running high egts with the 100 and get tired of watching the pyro all the time and controling the temp with your foot then switch to the 10.
I like the 10 when towing because I'd rather watch the road than the pyro.
Still get all the power I need with it.
You won't have to retune the AFC.

#3 ·
A #10 is going to limit your top end fuel more. If you are successfully towing with a #100 I would leave it, in my opinion. As far as tuning if you change, I believe as long you put the AFC housing back in the same spot as you took it off, you shouldn't need to re-tune.

#4 ·
Well we are tied with respect to answers. Both have good points and I appreciate your viewpoints. The truck after many hours of tuning is running so very well that I hesitant to do anything.

This trip will be a long one and if I get a bit tired I like the protection that the #10 provides. I'll have to think this over very carefully.

Thanks again

#5 ·
Just buy a #10 on ebay, think they're around $25- $30.
Try it and if you don't like it you could probably easily sell it in the classifieds here.
Remember if you ever start towing even heavier the #10 will help even more in keeping your eyes off the pyro.

#6 ·
illfem,

I bought one about 2 months ago thinking I would try it. Just scaird to screw around with it. I'll take it along as I have the tools in the trailer to change it.

#8 ·
It can get hot if I hammer on it so I don't and do not have a problem running the speed limit and keeping up with most traffic. Gotta watch it on long upgrades but I'm in no hurry to get to the top of the hill first.

I'll be about 28K on this trip and heading up to Pittsburg, PA. There are not too many long pulls out of Mobile, Huntsville to Nashville, heading north out of Cincinnati towards Columbus and out of Wheeling to Pittsburg.

Bought a Caravan for my daughter (5 kids) for Christmas so I am looking forward to the trip.

#9 ·
Hey Motorboat. On your way north through birmingham if you have any problems let me know. I will try and assist you any way I can. Or if you just want to stop and take a break from driving I would be up for that too.

Also I have a 10 in my truck (however it's not tuned that great) and like the power I have.

#10 ·
Thanks, if the time is right we can set something up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.