Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Filter Issues

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Duallykid 
#1 ·
The guy I bought the truck from was a real hack.. and I'm slowly making things better, I need to change the fuel filter because I think that's the only thing I haven't done since I bought it. Now the problem is.... the stock fuel filter has a drain **** on it, i bought a filter from work that has a threaded hole in the bottom but i don't have that drain. I'm assuming its for draining water... but the one that's currently on the truck closely resembles an oil filter, with no drain ****., and he also bypassed what looks to be another "cartridge filter" looking thing on the truck, and used air line, to go into a clear glass In-line filter with an element. some one please tell me what you would do in this position!

#2 ·
Get a part number off the filter that is currently on the truck and cross that over to the brand of your choice. Take your new filter back and get your money back. As long as there is a filter of some type prior to the lift pump, it will accomplish what the prefilter does. Be aware that if is a small micron hole filter, then it will plug very quickly just due to its size unless you have an extremely clean tank and purchase extremely clean fuel. I run a similar style prefilter on the '01 I drive, but have access to filtered fuel when I pump it, so the fuel is relatively clean when it hits the tank. Since the prefilter and preheater are already bypassed, as long as you keep a clean filter on there prior to lift pump, you'll have no issues. The clear filter is nice since it will allow you to see air bubbles is they ever exist in your fuel system. Be advised the fuel will discolor the plastic somewhat quickly and make it difficult to see inside of the filter. When you go back to purchase a replacement filter for the main one, check the micron on the one you use compared to the stock filter you bought and make sure they are the same. You don't want a large micron filter letting junk to the injection pump.

Reactions: Duallykid
#3 ·
It is glass for sure...and it's a fuel heater huh... okay, and when the truck is running I can see the fuel pulsing through the clear filter and there are tiny air bubbles in it...

#7 ·
i would change your stock fuel lines then, they are sucking in air and can cause starting problems. change the lines from the tank to the filter. make sure the new fuel lines are for diesel fuel. you can get the cheapest probally at a marine store

#5 ·
sweet, thanks man... is that drain necessary?

#8 ·
What I meant was that the filter the previous owner bypassed was the preheater. This is a good thing to do away with anyway as they are very problematic. Sounds like the previous owner installed a sediment bowl/filter in place of this factory prefilter. It is nice to have a see through glass on the fuel system. Since you have seen tiny bubbles, as stated above it is time to start replacing all lines prior to the filter all the way back to the tank. You have a problem now, but it sounds like it has not started causing major issues, but trust me, it will soon if not taken care of soon. The reason for changing all the lines is that the small crack or hole allowing air in the fuel is so small that it won't allow fuel out. Since it is so small, it is almost impossible to spot in the system and the easiest fix is total replacement. Sounds difficult, but it really only takes a couple of hours.

#9 ·
i bet i could knock it out in a matter of minutes....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.