Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine Removal Help

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Less Is More 
#1 ·
I have a 97 and am trying to pull the motor i have everything unhooked and ready to go but i just cant get it to fit through the hole. I have pulled all radiotor and up stuff. The oil pan hits and the top hits it just wont fit. LOL!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rick

#2 ·
Do you have the radiator, intercooler, grill, all the "stuff" infront of the engine out? Once all thats gone you can lift it up and forward you will need to tip the engine will bringing it up and out also...., it'll come out...

Reactions: Less Is More
#3 ·
back two valve covers and rocker pedestals have to come out as well and sometimes its just easier to remove the hood. That engine in these trucks tho isn't very easy to pull out.

Reactions: Less Is More
#5 ·
I've pulled two and I jacked the cab up on both to get them out. Pulling the rockers and covers may be easier though.

#7 ·
Does you truck look faceless!!!!:rof your best bet would be to tilt the engine back slightly. It will clear the firewall and the front of the oil pan will clear the forward cross-member.

#9 ·
ok i got it!!!! Sooty i had it just like that oil leaks and all (lol) and trans cross member out and it still wouldnt fit with back tilted all the way back. But as to Whoabeats suggestion i pulled back two valve covers and rocker assemblies and it came right out no problem. thanks everyone for the help
rick

#13 ·
not sure havent done that. But man from pulling mine it would not fit through the whole without pulling the valve covers and rockers. The valve covers hit the top and the oil pan hit the bottom i dont think that the transmission being on would affect that either way. But honestly it took like 5 minutes to pull the covers and rockers. Good Luck!!
rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.