Cummins Diesel Forum banner

alittle help.....waiting for tow truck

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MotorCityMadman 
#1 ·
I was driving along and the truck just started loosing power. Wouldn't respond to any demand for more fuel. It idled for alittle bit. Store shutting down and wont restart.
I recently changed the screen/fuel filter/ and ofv cause I had an algae problem. So I put in a biocide to kill it and also some seafoam. This is only the first tank with the treatment, could the filters have clogged that fast? Or should I be looking for another issue?

#3 ·
If you had a decent algae problem, it is possible that you are breaking all that stuff up with the chemical treatment. I would definitely start with looking at the pre-filter screen and main filter.

#4 ·
If u have algae problems carry lots of filters it pluggs them very fast and it can take awhile to get it cleaned out !!! been there done that :banghead:

#6 ·
x10

Sounds like your suckholin for fuel...

Like mentioned, while dealing with a contamination issue, it can get real nasty. you may have to clean the prefilter and change the final filter many times before all of the chit is out of the system

#8 ·
Thanks fellas, I hate to admit this on a public forum....lol...it was out of fuel. I mean bone dry.
I got the truck towed home. First thing I did was check the screen filter, looked good no debris. So I figured the tank screen was clogged up. Get under to start pulling the tank and its feeling realty light and hollow. Being it needed a new sending unit, and I wanted to check the tank for algae I pulled it anyways. The tank looked good, the screen had some traces of algae so I cleaned everything. And fired it up.
The thing that has me stumped is I would fill the truck up at 400 miles and have around 10 gallons left. Pre- filter changes with the algae prob. Now with clean filters I can't figure out why I ran out at 420 miles.

#9 ·
I should have posted this on this one as well. Woops

Fuel in tank, fuel at pump, fuel at overflow valve? Pump primer with ofv loosened. Is there fuel and zero air?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.