Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Lack of power

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ckanderson 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is Jeremy, just joined today but have been lurking for some time now...
Have done alot of searching but haven't really found what I'm looking for... I think!
Here's my situation. Truck runs great, but has a lack of power in 2nd-4th gear without the converter locked up...
Meaning if od is turned off, it has good takeoff but after the shift to 2nd it doesn't pull very well until the converter locks up (30ish mph) then sets you back and goes, does the same thing with the od on just longer and converter locks up at around 50...

This is a tow truck, I am a drag racer and all it is used for is to pull with very little driving...
I pull a 24' enclosed, 20' flatbed car hauler, or a 4 horse gooseneck...

Any idea's?
Thanks

#4 ·
Ok, Should I go with the 3000 or 4000 kits?
I am going to put a fuel plate in shortly also...
Thanks

#6 ·
I am getting told by others that its my converter...
But this is a new triple disc converter that was put in when the tranny was built...
I am going to get the 3k governor springs and try them I guess, thats the only other thing that I have been told to check/change...
I just cant see it being the converter because it was this way before I put the new tranny and converter in...

It definiatly acts like it is running out of fuel and its starts around 1700rpm...
Even with the converter on the interstate with it locked up it seems to quite pulling around 2100...

#8 ·
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/287781-beginners-thread-read-first.html

Governor Spring Kits (GSK)

- Stock governor springs de-fuel starting at about 2200 RPMS, it's quite noticeable. Governor spring kits allow your IP to fuel up to 3000, 4000, 5000 + RPMS depending on what kit you buy. The popular choice is to do a 4K GSK. It fuels nice and hard throughout the RPM range. If you plan to do a 4K GSK and REV ABOVE ~3250 RPMS, YOU MUST ALSO UPGRAGE THE EXHAUST VALVE SPRINGS TO 60LB SPRINGS! Many kits come with both sets

Bang for Buck value = High!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.