Cummins Diesel Forum banner

hx35

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  ykdave 
#1 ·
ok so here is the situation. my stock turbo went a month ago so i had to replace it with another stock hx35 unfortunately, well it worked great for a month and it was brand new, so after that month a bearing seized on the shaft and the shaft got blued up, so the shop i got it from said it had to be my fault for lack of lube and made me pay to get it rebuilt instead of warranty the thing, just put it on tonight and didnt get but 50 feet and the thing blew again. and i know for a fact there was good oil this time. so i am at a loss and in the hole on this thing, anyone got any ideas why its doing this? any other issues that may cause it?

#3 ·
i cracked the line making sure it had good oil, it did and yeah i pre lubed it. is there some trick to pre lube it that i dont know, some sort of trick that makes it work better or what?

#4 ·
Just because you cracked the line and oil came out doesnt mean its 'good'

Journal bearing turbos require a fair bit of pressure and flow for proper lubrication. If it is lacking either pressure or flow, it will fail to create the required film of oil in the journal bearings that the shaft actually floats on. resulting in metal-metal contact, excessive heat/wear and the final outcome you have discovered.

As far as pre-lubing, basically just dumping some oil into the center section and giving it a little spin with your fingers just before firing it up. Pre-lubing methods arent exactly the end of the world, unless you already have oiling issues.

What all did they replace on the rebuild?

#5 ·
ok...well i did that as far as pre lube, and on the rebuild they replaced the compressor wheel, the bearings and thrust plate. and he said he polished up the shaft and reused it, and im pretty sure it is snapped now.

#7 ·
yeah thats what i figured, needless to say im not gonna be doing business with them again, thanks for the insight, ill make sure to overdo the pre-lube next time, maybe it will help.

#8 ·
well got a new center section in it and it is working good so far, hope it lasts. one thing that is weird is that the oil line fitting is leaking just a little bit after i have been driving for a little bit, fittings are good and everything, even replaced the little copper sealing ring in there. dont know what to make of it.

and for some reason whoever owned my truck previously took the fitting off the back of the afc that hooks up to the wastegate, and on my first turbo that went they drilled and tapped the intake housing of the turbo and plumbed the wastegate directly to it. so i dont have the wastegate hooked up as of yet. how bad is that for a hx35?

#10 ·
so think it would be wise to drill the new one or to just get a t for the afc and hook it up that way?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.