Cummins Diesel Forum banner

need help by tommorow

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  ckanderson 
#1 ·
well im putting the truck back together after the kdp. i got the belt on and left the truck in gear to torque damper but it still moves. also with the belt on the water pump pulley it gets really to the crank position sensor. wat can i do? i need to try and finish it by tommorow.

#2 ·
sorry i meant rpm sensor. also i forgot to but the little hold down bracket back on bc i forgot how it went. got any ideas of wats wrong with the belt hitting the sensor and how to keep the balancer from moving? thanks

#4 ·
alright thanks i will try tommorow

#5 ·
as far as the balancer there is a notch in it you will see it. turn it until the notch is on the drivers side somewhere in the 3-6 o'clock range. cut a peice of steel the length from the notch to the ground and stick it in the notch and against the ground and you can now tighten the balancer bolts. it creates so much torque that you will actaully be lifting your truck but it works like a charm.

#7 ·
Great advice. Also, blocking the wheels will help. Honestly, I don't know what the torque spec is on the 4 bolts that hold the balancer on, but I doubt you need to tighten them with the screamin power of Jesus. You might want to put a bit of loctite on them, and get them reasonably tight. That should do it.

#8 ·
wow didnt think about 5th gear. and v8440 they are torqued to 92 ft/lbs. thanks guys for your help i really appreciate it.

#10 ·
im in kentucky but the truck is in my auto shop class. i just hope to get it done before friday since the next two weeks is christmas break.

#12 ·
yup i did and im finished with it. no leaks so far. but the ess doesnt work and ive tried setting it at .050" and still didnt work. so i tried the business card idea but that didnt work either. so do you think out of coincedince the sensor went bad? also can someone tell why if the sensor goes bad the alternator doesnt work?

#13 ·
It is that sensor that tells the computer the engine is running....therefore kicks in the alternator fields. Without that the computer doesnt know the engine is running. It's got no ears to hear it. LOL

#14 ·
lol yea the one that gets its readings from the balancer

#16 ·
yea the wire is on the top and the flat peice is close to the balancer

#17 ·
alright now this is weird. i started the truck this morning and the tach needle was jumping around and the alt was charging the system. then i started it before i left work and the tach went to the normal idle reading then would jump around alittle when i took off. i dont get it. i guess the computer is finally picking up on the signal

#19 ·
well today. it worked perfectly fine during lunch break and when i let it idle at my house it jumped around but worked fine driving back to work. then when i left work it worked just fine with no issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.