Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine Reseal Kit

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  o6smoker 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find a kit to completley reseal my motor. its got 313k on it and leaks quite a bit of oil. I'm trying to find a good gasket kit for it, i've searched the threads and not finding much luck. And also trying to figure out how difficult it will be to do myself?

#2 ·
Idk if there is a master kit, but I'd start with a timing cover gasket kit, valve cover gaskets and a gould vacuum pump powersteering rebuild kit. That alone should do quite a bit.

#4 ·
I wouldnt be too afraid to use cheapo gaskets on most of the engine, everything except for the headgasket.

The vac pump is extremely easy to do, search around, their is great writeup around here on doing it.

Depending on how far you really want to dig into this thing, its likely best to pull the engine out of the truck

#5 ·
I'm trying to do everything i can without having to pull the motor cuz i don't have all the tools do to so. What gasket do i really need to pull the motor for tho? I'm going to have my tranny rebuilt and replace the rear main seal when the transmission is out.

#6 ·
They can all be done with the engine in the truck, its just alot easier to pull the engine and do it. a couple hours to pull the engine saves ALOT of swearing and beat up knuckles, not to mention the total time to do the job would be about the same.

#7 ·
the oil pan gasket and tappet cover are going to be a PITA to do with it in the truck.

Everything else is pretty easily done in the truck, but alot easier if the engine is hanging on a stand infront of you!

#8 · (Edited)
First you need to identify which gaskets and/or seals are leaking. A little oil goes a long way. You may have a couple of easy fixes, or a hard one. Over the years I have replaced every seal/gasket that can be replaced without opening up the engine for rebuild. The tappet cover is definitely a time consuming mutha. The gasket between the gear case and the block required removing the cam. I didn't think the oil pan was that bad, but I have a 2WD.

Clean the engine and assess what is actually leaking. You may be pleasantly surprised.

This is the bottom of my engine 1600 miles after replacing the oil pan gasket last month.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info. Is there a writeup on any of this cuz i'm thinking of doing one when i get finished with this. It may not be for another month or two.
So should i just take a pressure washer to my motor and clean it up that way or what would you reccomend?

#11 ·
I wouldnt pull the engine but i would pull the front clip off and do the kdp and then it will be easier to remove and do the vac power steering pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.