Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Let's talk about the NV4500

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  EVE 
#1 ·
I need a NV4500 that will live through 1700 hp and about 1500ftlb. This isn't for a diesel but for a Ford 7.5l gas engine. What will need to be upgraded in the tranny to take that kind of abuse? It will also be shifted at 7500rpm if that makes a difference.

#3 ·
There's a company, I think it's called quad4x4, that can probably help you with that. What's the project, a turbo'd 460 or one with a big centrifugal blower perhaps? What block are you planning on using? I hope not stock...

#5 ·
Quad 4x4 has aftermarket redesigned mainshaft kits available (I have one) that are higher quality material over stock but not sure if they are rated for that kind of power, I would call and ask.

However thats just one upgrade you will need to do. The real problem is finding gears. If your spending that kind of money on the motor it translates to the transmission too... you may have to find a company that can custom cut gears, I am personally not aware of any high performance gear vendors for this tranny.

Then there other things to worry about. Do you have any other options for the transmission?

#9 ·
Before you try to get liberty's to do ANYTHING the least bit custom or out of the ordinary, shoot me a pm and I'll set you straight on what you can expect.

#10 ·
I just picked up the shortblock yesterday. It now has a Ford Motorsports A-460 block instead of a stock 2 bolt main block like it had in this video. This thing is no pooch and the rolling chassis is for sale so it can go into something different. Ever seen a truck on 35's go 8's? Yes I'm crazy before anyone asks.

This is on 12psi. It will now have twin 88's and make 2000hp if I turn up the boost. A lenco might not be a bad idea but I want to drive it on the street.

#11 ·
I don't doubt the motor will make 2000 hp with a couple of 88's. I have a buddy (yeah yeah, I know, all tall tales start out with that) that was driving and tuning a guy's car that had a 391 inch smallblock ford. On an engine dyno that motor made 1980-something hp with a 106 mm single at about 30 lbs of boost. They put it in something small like a fairlane and the challenge became pulling enough power out of it to get it down the track.

Myself, I have a '91 coupe with an 8 pt cage and decent suspension that will hopefully get a set of small twins on a 400 chrysler. I figure it'll make probably about 800 hp on pump gas (at the flywheel) and run low 9's or high 8's. I already had CSU build the carb, the rest is just a matter of money, time, and motivation.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program...

#12 ·
I just sold the 106mm I had on it Friday. The limiting factor of the 106 was the exhaust housing. It didn't flow enough exhaust and choked the engine down quite a bit. With the twins it will be able to flow enough exhaust volume and make more top end power while still spooling at a decent rpm. Singles work well on small displacement engines but not as well on large displacement engines such as mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.