Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Rear Main seal?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  farmboy1989 
#1 ·
I pulled the rear main out on my truck and got the drill screw a little close to the crank and scratched it up and Ive determined with that and the wear from the old seal I need a speedi sleeve. My question is, what is the sleeve installer and do I need it? And I already got a seal, should it work along with the sleeve?

#2 · (Edited)
Generally in a pinch it will work, but in most applications when you get a speedi sleeve you get the seal that goes along with it.

Also, use some emory cloth and get the crank as smooth as you can, you can heat up the sleeve a little bit but not a whole lot and it should slide onto place.

#3 ·
Every speedi sleeve I have ever installed comes with the sleeve installer. Its just a steel cup that you are able to hit with a hammer to push the sleeve on. Just don't buy the speedi sleeve from an auto parts store. Buy it from a bearing and seal supplier (commercial solutions or someone like that), it will be about 1/3 the price. They may not be able to cross reference the part number for you but if you give them the dimensons of where you are putting the sleeve they should be able to help you. Same goes for seals/u-joints/bearings.

#4 ·
The sleeve is only like 10 dollars and the installer 30. I cannot find the sleeve seal as a pair, that is why I assume that the factory seal will work with them. I have bought the pair before and then wound up using only the seal , that being on a different truck.

#5 · (Edited)
I've just been through EXACTLY the situation you describe, down to the root cause being the same (screw went sideways when removing old seal). The tool is a precisely machined piece of white plastic that you put the speedi sleeve in. Then you put it up against the back of the crankshaft and tap it to get the sleeve up onto the crank. I went ahead and bought the tool, and I'm personally glad I did. I'm sure there are other ways of getting the sleeve installed correctly, but I think the tool takes away most of the risk of boogering the sleeve up.

As a side note, I found that the description most auto parts stores had for the tool made it sound like the tool was actually the sleeve. So, I ordered what we thought was the sleeve itself, and I was surprised to find the piece of plastic in the box instead. I actually ended up calling fel-pro to get the part number of the sleeve. They told me, so I ordered it. It seems like you are not having that particular difficulty with your supplier, but it ran me around in circles at a couple of auto parts stores.

And yes, the sleeve is designed to work with a normal seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.