Cummins Diesel Forum banner

ehxaust smell in cab

5K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  WhiskeyRider 
#1 ·
So, I picked up this 96 12 valve ram, and everything was fine for a day or two, did a couple pulls, then after this seems performance lacks compared to earlier, but the most annoying problem after is that now the exhaust smell in the cab is horrible, in fact it was damn near killing me slowly as i was weaker and disoriented after getting out the last time. (I don't roll the windows down, it's below 0 degrees here)

Also have not got under truck to look either, as I said before it's below 0 degrees now. Figured I would ask to check some areas first. I read on here someone mentioned something about EGR? I did notice oil all over the top of the motor, and caked on the sides. Not sure if this was recent or not. It's been dark most of the time. I sprayed and wiped it all off the top thinking may be the smell, nope. (industrial strength degreaser wouldn't even cut through it)

Any ideas on what is causing exhaust smell very bad in cab? Even feels like I am coated with a thin layer of oil, and clothes just reek after.

Thanks

#3 ·
what do you mean by a few pulls and normally when you smell exhaust in the cab of anything you have a leak, it would almost have to be in the engine bay or down pipe to smell it I would think but I doubt that its exhaust your smelling these arent like a gasser. And as far as your oil leak go to the car wash and have at it till its spot less and than track down the leak. It may be cold but fixing a broken truck rather than repairing a truck in the cold are to differant things

#4 ·
Check your exhaust manifold for a crack or leak, and check your coupling from the turbo to your down pipe as well. Mine was leaking from the coupling and had the same problem, especially when I let her idle for awhile.

#5 ·
poor power, check over all your cac hoses, and clamps, check around that turbo for any leaks, possibly turbo mounting gskt. you would hear that though. just look for soot, exhaust leaks are usually pretty easy to find. like said before wash down that engine, and then try and troubleshoot those oil leaks.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

When I mentioned the degreaser, yes I took it to the truck wash, sprayed her down and cut into her with high pressure water. Was black oil/soot pretty much everywhere, and I ended up manually wiping most if it off with towels, as the degreaser and water couldn't cut through it. Mostly built up on the sides of the block, and around the head.

I'll check the areas mentioned when I get in the garage, and I'll be on the look out for any new leak areas. Any other ideas?

I wasn't thinking manifold because she still holds 30 or just past psi when boosted (gauge only goes to 30) so I don't think she would hold that if the manifold was cracked.

#7 ·
I wasn't thinking manifold because she still holds 30 or just past psi when boosted (gauge only goes to 30) so I don't think she would hold that if the manifold was cracked.
A crack in the exhaust manifold wouldnt nessasarly greatly effect your boost unless you had a major split and you were leaking heat out like an SOB. Your turbo functions on the turbine side from heat transfer energy, not pressure coming out of the exhaust port.

#8 ·
I see, and as freewheelin said, check turbo to manifold gasket, as i remmeber one blew out on turbo 2.4KA 240SX I has, but it held no boost, no did it when it cracked the header/manifold both times.

But on the ram, I noticed there is no gasket in between the turbo and manifold, it's mated metal to metal. That's what I ended up doing on that 240 to stop blowing out gaskets, and it worked.

#10 ·
On the washing off of the grease, I would recommend renting a hot-water pressure washer, as well as using a degreaser. The heat really does the trick. I was wondering where the exhaust dumps out? How are your seals for the doors and windows? Any large holes in the firewall? Random questions but curious.

#14 ·
Regardless, I don't think it's the root of my problem. Looked, everything looked tight, bah I may just sell the thing. Worked well to yank a couple cars out of 4 foot of snow.

#16 ·
Nope, and really does not matter where I set the heater, still smell it at idle at a stop and when moving 60mph down the freeway. :(

Really sucks because my jacket and clothes just reek of diesel exhaust. Ugh.

#17 ·
some guys get exhaust smell sitting at idle because it's coming back around...

obviously that wouldn't be the case on the highway. I would run your blower on recirculate for now, that will cut down on the smell untill you find the source, but it's obvious that you have an exhaust leak somewhere. how else does exhaust get in the cabin? :confused:

#18 ·
Obviously theres a leak. Don't know where. Could have a crack in your firewall or dog house. Ive scene it where it cracks between the heater core holes that go through the firewall. Door seals maybe? Vent door came off the linkage?

#20 ·
Hmm

The doors seals did take a crap a few days ago and I ended up ripping the driver one out today because it and the passenger one hang down when the doors are closed.

I've seen exhaust manifolds crack right in the middle underneath.
Only way to see it is with a mirror.
I was thinking this today as well after checking for cracks. Could not see/feel/hear anything, but does not mean you can see it in cast iron.

Anyone make an aftermarket manifold that is good for these rigs?

#21 ·
With the truck running and your fan not spinning throw some baby powder around and see if you see anything then.

#24 ·
i know this thread is already old but i found it today . I took my truck out today to run some errands, not hauling anything, and it smelled of exhaust in the cab like never before. I checked around the exh manifold and there is soot all around the the first exhaust port. wasn't there before. Does anyone know who many hours a shop should charge to re re a new BD manifold? I will probably get it changed out asap!

#26 ·
J&S Diesel in Las Vegas says 3 hrs at $95/hr!

#27 ·
its what 16 bolts and a few brackets attached to the manifold. i need to move out that way if they are charging prices like that. i did a full exhaust, aftermarket turbo and new intercooler boots in 3 hours! to bad it wasn't my truck tho.

did you check the metal garket between the head and mani? i have a horrible exhaust smell when i bought my truck and it ended up being the #6 cylinder head to mani gasket. it was only cracked but once you add the drive pressure to it it would open right up.

#28 · (Edited)
yes I checked the gasket just visually from the outside, without removing it you can't see much, except soot all over the #1 port. Mechanic says #6 looks like it is passing as well. So i figure upgrade and end up with a better manifold. Labour will be the same.

UPDATE
I called Cummins and 2 other aftermarket diesel shops and they all are near the same.., so i don't want to risk a problem and having no wheels to get parts I might break...sometimes the learning curve is costly. I can't figure why Cummins would make such a lame manifold setup, Cummins is supposed to be so great! only a bit over 100,000 miles on the truck.

When its done I'll post my experience with shop and photos.

UpDATE: Feb 9 11
Didn't have much luck with J&S Diesel they were to busy to get me in to do the work after going there twice so after 2 weeks, I took the BD manifold and gaskets home. ( best order from GENO'S.., they include gaskets which i paid $60 from J&S) phoned around and got referred to a guy in N. Vegas, Silver State Diesel. He (Mike) got me in the day i called. Also had him fix the front timing cover leak and install a Fluidamper a week later and flush out the red coolant and re place it with blue coolant from Cummins. They also removed my cat conv and welded on flanges so i can re; re; myself later if needed. I have to say these guys are great (Silver State Diesel) all done at nite and on saturdays. Truck runs soo smooth with the new fluidamper you wouldn't believe it which i ordered from XDP in Jersey (they advertise one price but charge extra $ when u place the order...warning!) it was here in Las Vegas in 3 days FREE shipping. The difference between the stock manifold and stock damper is amazing. In other words in my opinion the stuff that comes stock is thin chintzy crap. oh by the way.., the manifold re re took about 3 hours , the manifoild had warped so bad the #1 #6 studs were almost impossible to get out I was there watching and I'm glad I didn't try to do it myself. Alll in all very happy trucks runs and even shifts smoother a real difference.
.. just my 2 pennies worth!
will take pics tomorrow...drank to many apple ciders today in the vegas sun.

UPDATE: May 14 2011...
sorry took so long...made a video of the manifold, used my newPanasonic HD Cam w 5.1 Suround sound. have speakers use em here, cam is awsome
http://www.youtube.com/user/palmtreezy#p/u/1/SykyPsm0O_g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.