Cummins Diesel Forum banner

NV4500 teardown questions

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  snssteven 
#1 ·
I started to teardown my nv4500 due to the fact that when i bought it i was told it didnt work. got it for free when i bought the bellhousing and flywheel. but i am not sure how to get the mainshaft out yet still waiting til my manual comes in the mail but i was wondering if someone has a more detailed diagram of these trans. i know what is wrong just not sure what it is so i can order a new one.

#2 ·

this i connected tot he input shaft i know it is suppose to look like a gear but not sure which one it is. also the one below it is ruined to so i need to replace that one too.

#4 ·
alright that really helped thank you. Now i just need to know should i replace all the bearing and syncros or just those 2 gears? first one i have torn into before. its not going to be behind anything amazing just a reasonably built cummins maybe 400 hp.

#5 · (Edited)
By the looks of that picture... I'd have to lay eyes on every part. That is one nasty transmission. Try to get genuine NV parts, but be forwarned they are hard to come by.

#6 ·
everything from what i have seen looks fine and shifts good and rotates freely. just from what i have seen it is those 2 gears. but i will see more when i get it all the way apart.

#7 ·
can only speak about Eaton Transmissions, if you have taken the time to tear it down, always re bearing it. Just peace of mind.

#9 ·
yeah found out it is the counter shaft and input shaft that need to be replaced. then all the bearings will be done too. does anyone know where to get these parts besides quad 4x4 trying to get USA made parts or genuine NV parts.

#10 ·
ok now i have a new question to go along with this. since i am tearing it a apart i want to run a np205 to it. i know i should get a 89-93 dodge one but since these are hard to find could i put a 32 spline gm mainshaft and bolt up a gm np205. i know dodge had the HD versions but how much power could the gm mainshaft stand for? i have looked into this question before but there is no definite answer out there i always hear a yes and a no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.