Cummins Diesel Forum banner

97 Slow Turnover - No Start - New Batts

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  FiveNdime 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for any help ahead of time. My 97 truck has been running fine lately, until temp dropped down into the 20's this week. Would not start one morning - just a slow turnover, so I assumed it was dead batteries. Just installed 2 new AC Delco Pro 50 750CCA month free replacement warranty batteries and still will not start, just turning over too slow. I cleaned up all the connections and checked the ground connection, but still just a slow turn over. I'm thinking corroded wiring under the insulation that I can't see, or something else along those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great Holiday!

#2 ·
I had this exact problem with another rig. After I replaced the battery I found out it was the starter just decided to slowly die on me one day. I took the starter off and had it tested. Here is the funny part, it tested out just fine but those machines they use don't put a load on them when they test them. Starter was toast and now the rig starts like a dream! I went to Autozone for it, they had a decent price but what I liked was the lifetime warranty.

Reactions: fishtails
#3 ·
Verify all the connections are clean and tight. Otherwise rebuild the starter. Simple to do, and you get to keep your good starter instead getting some box a guy took a dump in and slapped a guarantee on.

#6 ·
Whatever you do don't trade in your OEM starter for a auto parts generic starter even if it has a lifetime warranty!
Rebuild it or buy another OEM.
Auto parts starters are designed for gassers and can't take the torque to turn over a diesel.
If you do get one get used to replacing it every 10,000 miles or less.

#7 ·
After market parts are required to meet or exceed OEM parts. I've never had a failed after market part in over 15 years. :confused013: I don't by cheap crap though, and buy new parts instead of remans which is probably why. If you can afford factory parts, IMO those are the best to use if there not way out of the price range.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies

Thanks Everyone - especially FiveNdime for the quick post. It was the starter, got her running with a little extra charge on the new batteries and ran out to get the starter. Had no choice but a rebuilt starter, the original starter had already been rebuilt once and the guy that did the rebuild said the bolts got stripped during the rebuild (he epoxied back in place), so I was running on borrowed time with the old starter anyway. I guess I could have tried to get the bolts out and retapped them, but don't have the tools. New (rebuilt) starter is OEM Nippon Denso starter, with the lifetime warranty. It would have been nice to have a brand new one, but $180 versus $400 is a no brainer IMHO. Thanks Again to all who posted, and have a great holiday!

#15 ·
Thanks Everyone - especially FiveNdime for the quick post. It was the starter, got her running with a little extra charge on the new batteries and ran out to get the starter. Had no choice but a rebuilt starter, the original starter had already been rebuilt once and the guy that did the rebuild said the bolts got stripped during the rebuild (he epoxied back in place), so I was running on borrowed time with the old starter anyway. I guess I could have tried to get the bolts out and retapped them, but don't have the tools. New (rebuilt) starter is OEM Nippon Denso starter, with the lifetime warranty. It would have been nice to have a brand new one, but $180 versus $400 is a no brainer IMHO. Thanks Again to all who posted, and have a great holiday!
Your quite welcome, just glad I could help out! Merry Christmas!

#11 ·
I almost forgot to mention this: the actual motor starter windings had fried a hole in the side of the starter. You should have seen the sparks coming out of it when we did a load test! It looked like a plasma cutter!

#12 ·
GAmes - whats the deal with these guys? Is there any kind of warranty with these? Why is this one "better than a rebuild" - are they new?

#13 ·
Yes they are new. I haven't heard of a parts house rebuild that uses quality parts, and I have had my fill of "lifetime warranty" parts. Went thru 5 lifetime power steering pumps in less than a year, finally bought a new one. Same with fan clutches. They always failed when I was far from home.

#14 ·
GAmes,
Thanks for the tip, I've already bookmarked the Fleet site for next time / other repair parts. Looks like a great site and good prices. To your point: I have had issues with some rebuilt parts on other trucks / cars I've owned, while others have lasted a long time, so I'll keep my fingers crossed with this one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.