Cummins Diesel Forum banner

leaking coolant....

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Nadep_Cowboy 
#1 ·
in traffic noticed the truck getting warm so i pulled over and took a look around, saw that i couldnt see anything in the radiator, or the overfill bottle, so got a gallon and a half of coolant in the system, drove it home fine no problem.

went out to check it out on a stone cold truck, couuldnt see coolant in the radiator again, so went to pour the last half gallon in, and it came pissing right out somewhere behind/ under the oil filter area.

any suggestions as to wtf is wrong?

#3 ·
where exactly is that located and how big of a is it to swap out?

#4 ·
Got cooling hoses and pipes around there. Take off the oil filter to see if you have a better view. I doubt it's the gasket.

#5 ·
My truck is doing something very similar. In a weeks time I've put a gallon of coolant in the overflow bottle it doesn't leak during the day but if I check it during the day and then check it the following morning it will have drop 2 to 4 inches in the bottle. I am not gaining oil I'm not having any visable leaks so where is all this antifreeze going? Thanks for any help

#6 ·
gasket is 75 bucks from the local dealer with my discount, ouch.

upon further investigation it was my waterpump that took a , bearing was all torn up, had about 1/4 inch of play in it, and was pissing out the bottom of it running along the block to behind the oil filter and dripping down there. 65 bucks for a new water pump and an hour later shes back on the road.

god i love how cheap everything for this rig is compaired to my bimmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.