Cummins Diesel Forum banner

HELP!!!! think its a common problem cant find a good answer

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  WATERLOO49 
#1 ·
just bought this truck monday. having a semi intermittant problem that is getting worse.

when it acts up the overdrive shuts off, the tach is inop, the alternator either doesnt charge or it pegs the voltage gauge, water in fuel and wait to start light stays on.

what ive done, i swapped the ESS with a known good one helped for a day, greased and tightened the connection on the ESS to upper harness, changed the alternator, and checked the connection at pcm.

no one can look at it till tuesday the closest pcm is 5 days out and i need to get to work monday please help.

im good at wiring can i put in an external regulator, and some how make it so i can put the truck in od manually? i live 40 miles from work so i need od

#3 ·
i swapped the ESS with a known good one helped for a day
If swapping helped for a day, they I would say you did something that day that helped for a while. Go over the wiring harness going to ESS inch by inch. You could have just wiggled the wires just right and got a connection. It could be a broken wire. It could be inside the connector for ESS. Your problems all point to PCM not receiving a signal from ESS letting it know the engine is running. Also, get a factory service manual for your truck so you can check for proper voltage at PCM itself. You'll need the manual for your year truck to get proper wiring diagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.