Cummins Diesel Forum banner

truck jerks under load

17K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Evans97 
#1 ·
While driving my truck when you get under a load it starts to jerk almost like a power hop does it in all gears it did it when i had an auto in it but only with about 13k behind the truck i swapped in a nv4500 t case and drive shafts looking for any input what could cause this

#3 ·
their was actually an updated throttle linkage to help with a jerky throttle. i dont believe it is available any more though...

You first need to figure out what the issue is. is it a throttle linkage related issue or is it fueling (engine lugging and chugging)

#4 ·
My cruise control doesn't work never has since I've owned the truck i can try a heavier spring ever time it starts to do if you give it more pedal it will power right out of it

#12 ·
My truck jerks if you are not super smooth with the clutch.... I looked and the return springs are MIA. Can I just use some from NAPA or do I need to go to the Dealer?

#13 ·
Does it do it at certain speeds? mainly shift points like around 2200 2300 rpms? im still having this problem. replaced shocks and everything. i can pull my bass boat no issues. i put a gooseneck behind me with my live in and horses or some heavy equipment and this thing will make you think your truck is about to implode if you dont let off the throttle. as long as you let off the throttle then get back into it hard it goes away. i have finally decided its got to the yoke on the my rear end or the drive shaft is bent...those are my only two options left. the only thing it does unloaded or with a smaller load like with a bumper pull is when you let off the throttle quickly it will jar the whole truck quick...but im assuming thats how all of these trucks will do. let me know what you find out...this has been a 3 year mystery behind my truck.

#16 ·
Thanks bill ill check it again. i was under the impression they broke if there was a problem. are you saying the bucking can be caused simply by them wearing out or being faulty from the factory without them braking? thanks a lot.

Reactions: jatuggle
#18 ·
Well I finally broke down and took it to the shop. It stumped him right away. But we pulled the pump. 3 scored barrels and plungers and cam was broke. Time to rebuild the pump. Thinking of going with bigger barrels and plungers

#21 ·
This thread confirmed the cause of my bucking truck. Return spring just hanging there...... thanks

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.