V10 swap to Cummins in a 98 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
V10 swap to Cummins in a 98

Well, it looks like I may take on a project here. I am hellbent on a diesel even though everybody and their grandma has tried to talk me out of it. I came across a 1998 2500 with the massive thirsty V10, and a wrecked 1996 with the cummins. Both are 5 speeds. You already know what I want to do so what I'm wondering about is the dash and intercooler. I have no idea on what to do with the wiring in the dash because I'm assuming it's all electronic as with the 99+ trucks. 98 12v harness maybe? I don't know if the tachs redline at the same rpm between the V10 and cummins so I might have to change the entire dash, rather not do that. Will the intercooler just bolt into place? Same goes for exhaust? I read this is an easy swap, so most stuff should bolt into place, right? I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, thanks.
UncleBubbles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
as far as the engine bay is concerned, everything should drop in

When you get into the interior/electrical, thats were you have an issue. Because its a 98, its an oddball, if you want 'plug and play' you will need to find the pcm and wiring harness out of a 98 cummins 5spd

As far as the gauge cluster is concerned, IIRC the gasser tach will work, but its obviously the wrong scale and the wrong redline. best thing there again is to find a gauge cluster out of a 98
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
as far as the engine bay is concerned, everything should drop in

When you get into the interior/electrical, thats were you have an issue. Because its a 98, its an oddball, if you want 'plug and play' you will need to find the pcm and wiring harness out of a 98 cummins 5spd

As far as the gauge cluster is concerned, IIRC the gasser tach will work, but its obviously the wrong scale and the wrong redline. best thing there again is to find a gauge cluster out of a 98
When you say electrical you mean under hood electrical? If so I should be able to dump the computer and run the 12 valve all mechanical, and make up my own wiring harness for the powered stuff, like headlights, shut off solenoid, ect. For the tach, could I salvage the sensor off the V10 and mount it up on the cummins in some way to I don't have to change out the dash? Charge, oil psi and temp could all go on their own sensor, or did the computer do that with 98's. I'm not afraid to pull wrenches at all and I can wire stuff too, so could I do it my way to save money and time?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

No one else has anything to say?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubbles View Post
No one else has anything to say?

Not much else to say. Going from gas to diesel in same year trucks is a lot of work, but throw in the differences between '96 and '98 and things get even worse. Don't know where you're at, but check local emissions testing and see if the '98 requires it and if it does the diesel won't pass since the VIN brings up standards for gas engine.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPegram View Post
Not much else to say. Going from gas to diesel in same year trucks is a lot of work, but throw in the differences between '96 and '98 and things get even worse. Don't know where you're at, but check local emissions testing and see if the '98 requires it and if it does the diesel won't pass since the VIN brings up standards for gas engine.
No emissions stuff here. (yet) But thanks anyway.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
No emissions stuff here. (yet) But thanks anyway.
Man everyone must be scared, this is very easy to do especially since it will stay a manual truck. You can use all the wiring from your truck to run everything on the cummins motor, you will use all of your sensor and just use adapters where needed to get them threaded into the cummins block. I have done this on my own truck which is a 2000 3/4 Ram that originally had a 5.9 gasser in it and I used a automatic trans and it was still pretty easy to do. My motor came out of a 95 Dodge. Lucky for me I had a 47RE out of a diesel that was rebuildable because the bell is different between the diesel and 5.9 gasser transmission. For you since you have a V-10 it is the same bellhousing, so just bolt it up. The only thing that you will really have to play with is getting your tachomter to work correctly, you will probally have to get a tach adapter sprocket that bolts to the front of the balancer and start cutting teeth off of it. Don't be afaird to do this swap.

I can help you along the way if you ever run into a problem in the swap just shoot me a PM.
m88tow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m88tow View Post
Man everyone must be scared, this is very easy to do especially since it will stay a manual truck. You can use all the wiring from your truck to run everything on the cummins motor, you will use all of your sensor and just use adapters where needed to get them threaded into the cummins block. I have done this on my own truck which is a 2000 3/4 Ram that originally had a 5.9 gasser in it and I used a automatic trans and it was still pretty easy to do. My motor came out of a 95 Dodge. Lucky for me I had a 47RE out of a diesel that was rebuildable because the bell is different between the diesel and 5.9 gasser transmission. For you since you have a V-10 it is the same bellhousing, so just bolt it up. The only thing that you will really have to play with is getting your tachomter to work correctly, you will probally have to get a tach adapter sprocket that bolts to the front of the balancer and start cutting teeth off of it. Don't be afaird to do this swap.

I can help you along the way if you ever run into a problem in the swap just shoot me a PM.
Thank you! That is what I was looking for. I have to swap out the trans input to the diesel version because the gasser is a bit smaller, right? These trucks (98 V10 and your V8) do have a computer of sorts right? What did you do with it, leave it be?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Thank you! That is what I was looking for. I have to swap out the trans input to the diesel version because the gasser is a bit smaller, right? These trucks (98 V10 and your V8) do have a computer of sorts right? What did you do with it, leave it be?
Yeah I am not totally sure on the difference in input sizes as I used a 47re in my build.

Yes I left the PCM there, I used all of the wiring from the pcm to run all of my sensors to ensure that my gauge cluster would still work. You will have to lengthen some wires and shorten others and figure your own way to route them, I got some conduit tubing to protect them and keep it looking factory.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Do you have the 5speed from the crashed truck? If so just use that unit and save your self some troubles.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

half way through the process of doing the same thing as you just bigger year spread. Have a 02 v10 that im swapping a 89ctd into. manual to manual. at a standstill right now until i get past finals week. I've gone ahead and gotten the diesel gauge cluster to make the guages appropiate to diesel #'s. everthing will drop right in, will take work but will go in. havent gotten to putting the intercooler in yet (using a 2nd gen IC) as i dont want it and the rad in the way of doing the wiring, working from back to the front. for the oil pressure and coolant temp gauges im going to use the v10 sensor and make a adapter to screw into the cummins block in the original ports. then i'll take the related harness of the v10 and go through the PCM and PDC then to the dash, crossing my fingers. for the KSB (grid heaters) im going to use the related section of the 89 harness and ecm to control that stuff. being that i have a VE pump i only need a constant hot wire going to the fuel shut off solenoid while key is in run postion, i'll find a wire that is hot while in run postition or go from the Ignition/run fuse with a splice and inline fuse. off this hot wire i will also run my airdog fuel pump so that it will only turn on when key is in run postion, not the accessory postion. thinking of that i may just use the wire that originally ran to the intank fuel pump.....this is my plan, we'll see

good luck
goatchin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m88tow View Post
Do you have the 5speed from the crashed truck? If so just use that unit and save your self some troubles.
Yes the crashed truck has a five speed; but I don't own it yet and same goes for the V10, but that will hopefully change soon. It may be awhile before you see a build thread from me because the V10 needs some work to pass a safety, and swapping engines in a Canadian winter without a heated shop really sucks. (done it before) Thanks for the great info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.