Boost elbow adjustment - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Boost elbow adjustment

Just to make sure I understand the boost elbow adjustment that comes with the fuel plates:
loosen small allen plug to decrease boost
Tighten small allen plug to inclrease boost

After swapping in the fuel plate I now get near 40 psi at full throttle. After reading on the forum it sounds like anything over 35 on the stock turbo is just waisted effort. I was going to adjust the elbow screw to reduce the max pressure.
97 Auto, #10 plate, 3K GSK, 4" to 5" exhaust, Intake, Guages
Nichol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

That is correct. Just be aware that the allen screw creates a big result from little adjustment, so only test it doing it 1/8 turn of the screw at a time.

P7100 Operation
Jagger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

ok, thank you.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i know this isnt the elbow you're talking about, but on my truck i have a T fitting on the AFC housing that comes from the turbo wastegate. it has a small hole drilled in it and it looks like boost excapes here so im assuming thats for the wastegate control right? to up the boost i can drill this out a little more, or to decrease it i can fill it with JB weld right? or should i just buy the adjustable elbow?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
i know this isnt the elbow you're talking about, but on my truck i have a T fitting on the AFC housing that comes from the turbo wastegate. it has a small hole drilled in it and it looks like boost excapes here so im assuming thats for the wastegate control right? to up the boost i can drill this out a little more, or to decrease it i can fill it with JB weld right? or should i just buy the adjustable elbow?
I don't remember seeing a hole on that fitting. Got a pic or better description of where it is on the AFC fitting?

P7100 Operation
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

ill grab a pic after supper. this truck is set up strange. instead of the WG sensing line coming off of the compressor housing, the WG sensing line hooks to that T screwed into the end of the AFC housing, then the last end of the T fitting is hooked to the intake manifold. its kinda strange, ill see if i can get a picture even though its packed down in there out of normal sight.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
ill grab a pic after supper. this truck is set up strange. instead of the WG sensing line coming off of the compressor housing, the WG sensing line hooks to that T screwed into the end of the AFC housing, then the last end of the T fitting is hooked to the intake manifold. its kinda strange, ill see if i can get a picture even though its packed down in there out of normal sight.
That's actually normal on the 12V's. It uses boost pressure for the AFC as a way of controlling black smoke (or emissions purposes). But this hole is what I am wondering about.

P7100 Operation
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

ok i found out what i was thinking of. the T fitting has no hole in it. the little brass elbow hooked to the T fitting that goes to the waste gate does though, as well as a allen screw in it, so im assuming the previous previous owner put an adjustable fitting in it, even though the dumb dinosaur had no boost gauge to monitor how high it got. right now boost gets close to 30 psi or so, so ill re do the fuel plate, then adjust the boost to max out at around 35 psi and call it good for now untill i get a new clutch.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
ok i found out what i was thinking of. the T fitting has no hole in it. the little brass elbow hooked to the T fitting that goes to the waste gate does though, as well as a allen screw in it, so im assuming the previous previous owner put an adjustable fitting in it, even though the dumb dinosaur had no boost gauge to monitor how high it got. right now boost gets close to 30 psi or so, so ill re do the fuel plate, then adjust the boost to max out at around 35 psi and call it good for now untill i get a new clutch.
At least now you know you got a boost elbow on that thing.

P7100 Operation
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

yea, im pretty happy about that thanks for your help, and sorry for the hijack of the thread.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

N worries, I'm still have this weird thought that these forums are for help and if two questions can get answered in one thread thats a good thing, right?!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My '94 WH1C turbo is making 38 psi without a boost elbow. Any thoughts on that? The plumbing for the pressure line to the waste gate is all intact. Seems like the waste gate is wired shut or something but it all looks normal.

thanks
1994 SCLB 4x4 Auto, 160 pump, 131 dv, 5x.009, no fuel plate, HE351cw, PUSHER intake, GWK, 4in exhaust, 16 deg timing, PATC SFI flexplate, REVMAX tripple disc, valve body, and rebuild kit. 285 75 16 Cooper, 3.54 gears
jigwelder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.