Cold Weather & Starting - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cold Weather & Starting

so from my understanding the 5.9L cummins dont have glow plugs, just a grid heater right? so around what temp out is it just too cold for em to start....I've had my 95 for 6 months so havent experienced cold weather with it yet..and I just recently moved to Missoula to go to school and there isnt a place to plug it in where I am living so I am kinda concered about her starting...Thanks Guys!
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,188 Posts
Plenty start at 30 below. Must have very good batteries, synthetic oil, and #1 diesel fuel from addition of kerosene, or additives. And grid heaters working well. Sure you can't run 150 feet of extension cord?
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i say run a hairdryer into your intake lol... i have started my truck (without the block heater being plugged in) in <10 degree weather u just gonna goose it a little bit with the gas pedal and u shouldn't have any problems..
nolls96 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ha! well yeah i was acctually plannin on doing my batteries this weekend.
extension chord ya, there are too many douchers around here that would unplug and screw with it im sure...nervous about leaving it in a dorm parking lot over night.

ha yeah that crossed my mind w/ the blowdryer
just roal a lil coal while shes startin off and see if i cant piss off some more liberal hippies while doing it.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

haha i didn't say to do that but go for man lol
nolls96 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

In half decent mechanical condition, good batteries and BOTH grid heaters working, it should have no problem starting to around -20f. after that, it may be hit or miss. but again, their are alot of variables!

My truck will start reliably unplugged down to -20c, down to -35c it will start, but it does not like it. below -35c it doesn't like to start, and when it does, it doesn't like it at all!

If you really need a cold start aid, but cannot use any external resources. look into a webasto/espar heater. Expensive, but they are the cats meow...
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I get regular 20 below zero where I live in wintaaahhh.

if the batteries are good, give it some pedal cranking --- the ol' hoss will start..............it will sound like hell and belch smoke till it warms up but it will start!

I have a block heater though, and i try to remember to plug it in at night...added plus is it's warm enough to melt snow off the hood.

I do not have any trouble starting out and about durring day in frigid temps, it's only if it has sat a good 8-10hrs thru the night in frigid temps that it coughs and sputters a bit.
"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you." 1996 2500 5.9L 4x4
pippi longstocking is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I can't find the 110 plug for my 95 1 ton. Do they even come with one or do they just relye on the the grid heater?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

cold starts mean good batteries, and remember to buy or make a cover for your grill it will
help keep the cold out and the heat in, even overnight
put a pad under your batteries like a bit of rubber or some battery blankets
Missoula is cold but not all that cold every night so you will not have to deal with it every night. make sure your battery connections are good or new.

make sure your hoses are in good shape cold weather is hell on hoses especially if they have been on a truck that is coming from a warmer clime.

lotsa cummins fans in that part of the country so there will be plenty of help if you need it

YK Davd is right in saying that good mechanical condition and it will start every time.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I will restate the old diesel axiom. Just because you can start it unplugged, doesn't mean you SHOULD start it unplugged.

The primary cause of cylinder wear in any engine is cold starts, as the oil is thick and sluggish. On the first several cranks, the oil is not in the cylinders, and its metal to metal (pistons against walls). Thankfully, Cummins will start unaided if need be, but its really hard on the engine, and if this is constantly done, it will NOT hit a million miles or near it.

If I were you, I'd be willing to walk a few blocks if I could find somewhere to plug it in. I have the same dilemma when I stay in motels in winter; so far, no one has messed with my extension cord, but if it runs across a sidewalk, I place a mat over the cord so no one will trip over it.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.