95 47rh tq converter/driveplate bolt removal - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
95 47rh tq converter/driveplate bolt removal

ok so now i'm really confused. i can't figure out how to unbolt my driveplate from my torque converter. i dropped the only inspection plate i can find on the transmission, and it just shows you the bottom of the torque converter and flex plate, and there is NO ROOM in there to get to bolts to remove them. hell can't even see the bolts.

the hanes manual i have shows a much larger plate, on the engine side of the bell housing, and i felt around and looked, but no such thing exists on my tranny. oh it's a triple disk converter. so how on earth do i unhook it?

also how do i remove the driveshaft? maybe i'm dumb, but i removed the pinion straps, but can't figure out how you drop the rear of the drive shaft, or do i just need to do some prying?

Last edited by nick112207; 09-07-2010 at 05:44 PM.
nick112207 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

To get to the torque converter bolts you have to turn the engine over to get to each bolt. Can use a barring tool if you have one, but a long screwdriver works good too. Just stick it up between the torque converter and your flex plate and turn it until you can get to a bolt. Remove said bolt. Then do it again until you have them all out.

For the drive shaft, just take out the bolts that attach it to the pinion yoke, then just slide the slip yoke out of the transfer case. If you have an extended cab or bigger you need to take the carrier bearing mount down too.

Do you mean that the ujoint isnt coming out of the yoke when you unbolt it?
'96 2500 RCLB, 47RE, 241HD, BHAF, Tuned AFC, #8 Plate, KDP'ed, MBRP T-B 4"-5" tip, Silencer Ring Gone, Skull Valve Stem Caps. In the works: 5" Lift w/6" coils. Dually Convert. Highway Products flatbed.
WhiskeyRider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Yes that's what I meant. My manual says drop the rear end then unbolt the bearing in the middle. How do I get the joint out of the yoke after I take off the straps?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

use a small pry bar or a screwdriver and pry it out
'96 2500 RCLB, 47RE, 241HD, BHAF, Tuned AFC, #8 Plate, KDP'ed, MBRP T-B 4"-5" tip, Silencer Ring Gone, Skull Valve Stem Caps. In the works: 5" Lift w/6" coils. Dually Convert. Highway Products flatbed.
WhiskeyRider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

There is an access plate on the passenger side of the bellhousing adapter. It is held on by 2 10mm bolts. Take that plate off so that you can access the torque convertor bolts.
"Give careful thought to the paths of your feet and be steadfast in all your ways." Proverbs 4:26
twin64 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin64 View Post
There is an access plate on the passenger side of the bellhousing adapter. It is held on by 2 10mm bolts. Take that plate off so that you can access the torque convertor bolts.
You might have to turn the engine over (using a barring tool or the alternator nut) to be able to see the first bolt. There are six bolts total that hold the torque convertor to the flexplate.

When you re-install them, they get torqued to 35 ft-lbs. I put red loctite on them because they are known to come loose.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I will have to look because i was told that i have to go through the starter
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

OK, I can only tell you about my 96 just R&Red my trans and TC. There is a small access hole w/a cover held on w/two small bolts, I couldn't find it at first ether, so keep looking. And it is not a large hole.

Floyd
blackimpala is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

you cant get them out by pulling the starter its a waste of time, there is a plate on the passager side, i use a flat head screwdriver between the flexplate teeth and bell housing to turn the tc around, as for the rear drive shaft you dont have to unbolt it form the axle, you can drop the bearing carrier and slip the drive shaft out the back of the trans-some times its a bit fussy but its faster than taking the whole thing off

if you still cant find that plate i can run out and take a pic of mine as my tranny is out right now
Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I got the drive shaft out. Just was stuck and needed some coercing out. Yeah i'll have to look when I get home for the plate. I wouldn't mind a picture though just incase I can't find it

Last edited by nick112207; 09-08-2010 at 01:16 PM.
nick112207 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112207 View Post
I got the drive shaft out. Just was stuck and needed some coercing out. Yeah i'll have to look when I get home for the plate. I wouldn't mind a picture though just incase I can't find it
It's on the passanger side, about the same height as the starter. Two 10 mm bolts are holding it on. Roughly a 2 inch diameter cover plate.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

yeah i found it. sprayed it real good with penetrating oil, get at it tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.