how to adjust idle on 97 5.9 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
how to adjust idle on 97 5.9

Just bought a 97 yesterday. It's got a dr.'s performance injector pump and injectors on it. I believe this is a factory pump that has been upgraded. It has a lot of power and runs fine, but the heavy duty torque converter pulls the idle down too far when backing up or going forward at an idle. If you try to steer and back up it will die every time. Just the pull of the power steering pump is enough to pull it down far enough to die. I think speeding the idle up 100 rpm would help. How do I do it?

I can't see anything on the throttle arm.

I called my buddy who sold it to me, he said he just got used to using a little pedal pressure when idling around. I think this is a pain in the butt. I'd rather not have to hassle with it. I know the other option is putting the stock torque coverter in it, but I'd rather not, if I could raise the idle.
choward is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Got P7100?

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Look towards the back of the pump where the throttle linkage goes. With the truck off move the linkage to full throttle and you can see the bolt that it sets on at idle. turn it counterclockwise about a full turn.

Its right back behind this part of the linkage

11.51@119mph w/ single s468
mathews8pt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

would you believe I can't even move the arm to full throttle with the engine off. Everything is locked up until the engine is running. I even tried with the key on and the engine off. Lock up.
choward is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Got P7100?

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
It will be hard to move but it should move with the engine off. They can be pretty stiff

11.51@119mph w/ single s468
mathews8pt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

as Im at the side of the engine I move the throttle from the left side as if you were hitting the throttle under the hood while your truck is running then grab it with your right hand by that braket, and move it to wot then hold it here with your left hand, with your right arm free to adjust the idle. This is literally something I can now do with my eyes closed, because I have adjusted it so many times
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.