Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transmission shifting problem ?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bigtyme90 
#1 ·
I just got my tranny built and a billet converter and if I floor it the truck doesn't wanna shift until I let out of the throttle. Is this normal or is something out of adjustment? It feels like it should and it just doesn't. Thanks for any help.

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like the TV (throttle Valve) is out of adjustment. This controls pressure agianst the shift valves, as you push the accel. pedal it incresses pressure that the road speed (Gov. pressure) has to over come in-order to shift. Gov. pressure controls shift.

The adjustment is on the P-pump, but first make sure it is connected to the trans (center part of manuel valve) and the pull back spring is in place, also make sure the cable is bolted down on the case, if not it will flex and not move the valve, only the cable hosing will move.

GL

#5 ·
That returning spring both of you mentioned is not there. Do I need to get a new spring or will just any spring work? Also what exactly do you need to adjust and can ou over adjust it or what?

#6 ·
Any spring will work.
(RPegram) posted a great pic, It wil be hard to explain but that push button will allow the cable housing to adjust, if you play with it you can fine tune your shift points.
(i went 2 clicks past org. adjustment and it worked good for me.)

GL

#7 ·
Which way do I adjust to get it to shift sooner? I found the spring evidentally I didn't put it back on when I put the tranny back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.