Cummins Diesel Forum banner

EGR valve on 5.9L 12V questions

72K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  cumminsturbofreak 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i need your help!

I have the following error code P0401: Insufficient EGR Flow :doh:

1. My truck has EGR valve. Somebody can send me some pictures of the location of this?

2. Which is better/performance: with or without EGR valve? :confused013:

3. I need the EGR valve? :sad2

Thanks!

#4 ·
Hey, I picked up a truck from California that had an EGR setup and I promptly pulled all that crap off, but it didn't throw any codes. Either I'm lucky or your doin something different with yours. How did you throw a code?

#5 ·
A friend connected a scanner (under the helm) for checking for damage and released the above code: P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow. But I will try to seal and remove all that crap to see what happens.

MT Oil Burner Can you send me some pictures about your EGR sealed?

#6 ·
Mine had an egr too look at my engine pic to see the exhaust manifold plug. I just tapped it with a pipe tap and you can plug the intake manifold too but I had another one so I just put it on. Mine never threw any codes. Honestly I didn't know 12 valves had a code for that haha

#9 ·
I'll try to get you a picture of the delete, but it will take some time. It's real straight forward. Take off the EGR tube running from the intake to the exhaust manifold. Then I would at the very least replace the intake horn with a stock one from a non EGR truck, because your right its very restrictive. I took a piece of 1/4" steel and made a cap for the hole on the exhaust manifold using the existing gasket. As far as the vacuum lines are concerned, I just ripped that crap off and electric taped the computer harness that the vacuum lines plugged into. I had to take them off to fit the stock manual intake horn. I haven't thrown a check engine or anything light. I'm guessing that you plugged yours into a computer to check if its throwing a code, but it hasn't thrown a check engine light. I would ignore it and have fun. When I took that crap off the truck ran better. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
1997 EGR Delete-California Truck

So I have the dreaded EGR on my truck because its a damn California truck. I am having a hell of a time trying to find someone to get delete covers from. I cant find any auto parts stores that have the gaskets so that I can make a template, and I cant pull off my existing equipment because it is my daily driver. Does anyone know where I can get those milled? Does anyone have a copy of a gasket that they can email me? Anything? I had one guy telling me that he wanted to weld the exhaust manifold shut and didnt really like the sound of that. I wish I were more mechanically incline-I am a paramedic and I can do wonders with the human body but am not too good with trucks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as far as the vacuum lines and the disk shaped device that hey plug into-can I just cap those or do I have to leave that disk shaped thing in there?

#16 ·
I used this way. New intake manifold not found yet.

#20 · (Edited)
I did from a iron plate.
I took as size the Egr valve gasket.

Look this is my way xD

This is not the best way, but if you dont found anywhere the Intake manifold sealed ( like me) then... Just do it.

Finish!!!

#21 ·
:hehe: @ "You can use leather gloves" :rof

For $100 from people off the forum I bought (@ $50 each) an exh. and intake manifold to just simply replace mine, no block-off's to make, AND I got rid of that rediculously restrictive EGR intake manifold.

That's how I'd go about it. Then get rid of that whole vacuum manifol, and cap it off at the firewall. Turns it into a stock lookin' non-cali truck. I did save everything just in case they ever decide to include '97's in the smog rule.

Then, to make the lemonade, I used the fibrous blanket wrapping the crossover tube as a turbo wrap blanket!

P.S. Here's the cheapest one, and just as effective as the $300 + models from all of the big companies...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PUSHER-Aluminze...525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335fb2e485

#22 · (Edited)
That's cool but in my country can be much more difficult to found and expensive.

"You can use leather gloves" xD

May have to build it myself.

#26 ·
No CHECK ENGINE light. Dont worry, nothing happens... Well, your truck is feeling better!

... Thanks for your comments hotshot101!