1997 Auto Trans Shifts early - Help! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1997 Auto Trans Shifts early - Help!

There are so many tranny questions on here I am having a hard time finding a possible solution to my problem so I though I would just ask again. I have a 1997 2500 4x4 with the automatic trans. The issue I am having is that when I start from a stop sign, the trans will shift into 3rd gear at about 10 to 15mph. I had issues with the governor pressure stuff, (pulled a code out of the PCM) but I fixed them and the code has gone away. I am still left with this problem. When I shift it manually it works fine but as I said before, I can start at a stop sign, get the truck moving, then a violent shift into third gear and the truck is a turd again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I have to assume it is a 47re not rh, if it is an re (e=electric) i would replace 2 things (gov.pressure solinoid & pressure transducer) that will fix your problem. Both located on the valvebody easy to change.

GL
sachsedodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachsedodge View Post
I have to assume it is a 47re not rh, if it is an re (e=electric) i would replace 2 things (gov.pressure solinoid & pressure transducer) that will fix your problem. Both located on the valvebody easy to change.

GL
i already replaced those, read my thread, those throw codes when they go.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

sounds like the tc is locking is the issue. like someone put a tc lockup switch in and its on all the time.
rtc1184 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I know you said you replaced them but i have replaced a thousand of them from (no codes) manuel shift ok, D not ok, could you have replaced the O/D solinoids instead?
The thud is a failsafe (limp-in mode)3rd gear and reverse
Maybe a faulty speed sensor? or TPS?

Last edited by sachsedodge; 06-28-2010 at 11:15 PM.
sachsedodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

A violent shift is not normally a good sign in an automatic. The violent shift many times is caused by excessive clearances. When you take off, do you have both 1st and 2nd gears? Have you checked your TV (throttle valve) cable and made sure it is both working and adjusted properly? This cable has a lot to do with 1st thru 3rd shifts. I have had limited success with unplugging the PCM directly for about 20 minutes and letting it "reset" itself. When you shift manually (I know you said it is fine) how harsh are the shifts then? Are they harder than they use to be? How is OD and converter lockup? Have you checked to see if converter is locking too soon? Is there anything else not working properly on the truck (even if you don't think they're related)? Since you have a part electronic, part hydraulic trans, there are many factors, both internal and external, that can cause bad shifts on these trans. If you don't have a factory service manual, I strongly recommend one from Geno's Garage ($30 on CD). There are over a hundred pages devoted to just this one trans for both diagnosing and repairing.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachsedodge View Post
I know you said you replaced them but i have replaced a thousand of them from (no codes) manuel shift ok, D not ok, could you have replaced the O/D solinoids instead?
The thud is a failsafe (limp-in mode)3rd gear and reverse
Maybe a faulty speed sensor? or TPS?
Keep in mind, i had to pull the code out of the computer, the check engine light did not come on for that one. regardless, i had a different problem prior to replacing the governor solenoid and transducer, The problem was that it would always start in 3rd gear, i can understand limp mode at that point as well. Regarding the speed sensor, i was getting a code for that as well (no MIL), when I crawled under the truck to replace the governor solenoid and transducer, I found the speed sensor was unplugged. I plugged it in, and the code went away. I still have overdrive.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPegram View Post
A violent shift is not normally a good sign in an automatic. The violent shift many times is caused by excessive clearances. When you take off, do you have both 1st and 2nd gears? Have you checked your TV (throttle valve) cable and made sure it is both working and adjusted properly? This cable has a lot to do with 1st thru 3rd shifts. I have had limited success with unplugging the PCM directly for about 20 minutes and letting it "reset" itself. When you shift manually (I know you said it is fine) how harsh are the shifts then? Are they harder than they use to be? How is OD and converter lockup? Have you checked to see if converter is locking too soon? Is there anything else not working properly on the truck (even if you don't think they're related)? Since you have a part electronic, part hydraulic trans, there are many factors, both internal and external, that can cause bad shifts on these trans. If you don't have a factory service manual, I strongly recommend one from Geno's Garage ($30 on CD). There are over a hundred pages devoted to just this one trans for both diagnosing and repairing.
It is only violent if i am getting on it from a start. Normal acceleration is not an issue, nor is manual shifting. While shifting manually, its like a dream, just more work. i've only had the truck for the last 6K miles and the tranny has always had this issue. I've corrected some of the issues but this still remains. Overdrive is fine.

How do i check the lockup?

The only other issue i know of with the truck is that sometimes the crank sensor goes on the fritz. I know this is related to the transmission but before everyone jumps my case about it let me explain why i haven't fixed it. I know when the sensor is faulting out because the tach jumps around like crazy, the dash lights flash, and the trans will usually shift into a higher gear, once it starts working again (for whatever reason) the tach starts working, the dash lights go out and the tranny will shift again.

I have never screwed around with the tv cable.

Thanks for the help to this point guys, i appreciate the interest in getting this problem fixed.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Is there any way to contact previous owner and see if trans has had any mods done to it? Ask about things like shift kit, valve body, stock valve body modified (drilled out) etc.

To check for lockup, once you get in the last gear change, keep steady pressure on go pedal and lightly depress brake pedal. You should see a change in RPM's. Once you let off brake pedal, the RPM's should drop back down. If your TPS is way out of adjustment, you could just be getting OD and converter too soon from just this.

You need to address the ESS (engine speed sensor). I believe when this acts up it is affecting the trans shifting and not the other way around. This sensor gives vital information to PCM to help it control shifts. When PCM gets bad signal from ESS, it will in turn give bad signals to other things.

I will also throw out there that you can have a bad governer pressure sensor and/or solenoid and never throw a code. If PCM doesn't realize it is getting bad info, it won't sound an alarm.

Here are some pics with instructions on how to check the TV cable. The adjustment of this cable is extremely crucial to making you trans live a long happy life.

RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Here's some info from Dunrite on shift points:
Dunrite Converters :: Frequently Asked Questions
Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Have you checked the voltage at your TPS at idle? The TPS controls your gov. pressure and if adjusted incorrectly it can cause your issue (possibly). If you are over one volt that may be your issue. Mine is set low at .53 volts, many people will liekly jump in and say higher is better, but every transmission is different. Alos verify your TV cable adjustment as shown above. PS, fix the crank sensor issue too!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.