WIRING--94 12 valve in a older 72 chevy truck - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
WIRING--94 12 valve in a older 72 chevy truck

The 94 cummins is totaled, the motor and trans survived and I was wanting to transplant them into a old 1972 chevy truck. What is the best bet to hook up the wiring??

I saw on gears that Stacy David had PPE setup a duramax to run in an old international cabover, but whos the go-to for 2nd gen cummins??
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
This probably the easiest wiring job you will ever do..... The fuel shutoff solenoid has three wires, white, black, red. Black goes to ground, Red goes to a key-on power source, and White goes to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. Add a couple of battery cables, positive to the big terminal on the starter, negative to the block, and it will run. On the back of your alternator, there are two small posts with wires connected to them, and one large post. The large post goes straight to the positive battery post. One of the small posts gets grounded to the case of the alternator, and the other one gets connected to the "field" terminal of a external voltage regulator. I like to use old Ford regulators. They have four connectors in them labeled I A S F. The I is useless, and doesn't get connected to anything. A terminal gets connected to the positive post of the battery. S terminal gets connected to key on power. The F terminal gets connected to one of the small posts on the alternator. It doesn't matter which one gets grounded and which one gets field from the regulator, it will work either way.
'96 F250 SuperCab w/ '94 6BTA S362/S480 compounds, A1studs, 5x.014's, 191's, 2095 plug, AFC mods, no plate, 4KGSK, Airdog 150, 60lb valve springs, 18*, Banks Techni-cooler, NV4500, KDP tab'd, Valair clutch, BD exh brake, 572hp/1103tq @ATS Diesel, Denver, CO 3-3-12

Last edited by 12VF250; 07-07-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Left out information
12VF250 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 12VF250 For This Useful Post:
cmnspwr (10-07-2010)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Since the 67-72 Chevs are basically the same, I'm wondering if the front end will support the weight of a Cummins. I have a 67 C20 and know for a fact that the C10 has a lighter duty frame. I found that out when I had to notch my frame to install headers (my son had a 71 C10 at the time). I'm not sure the rear wishbone suspension would hold the torque either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.