What transfer case fluid? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What transfer case fluid?

I am going to change my transfer case fluid. I want to use a synthetic fluid because it should give me a bit better fuel mileage. The manual says to use ATF. I want to use Royal Purple MAX ATF for no better reason than it is the only brand I can find that is synthetic. So my question is, is the transfer case just a set of gear, in which case I am not too concerned about using fluid that is not OEM? Or is it more complicated like a transmission and I should not mess around with different fluids?

Thanks

Peter
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Don't sweat the little stuff. Regular 'ole ATF will work fine. Since it is already so thin, I highly doubt you see little if any increase in fuel mileage. My personal preference is Wally World brand. With the difference in price, if there is a difference in mileage it would take years to pay the difference in fuel savings. One of the biggest advantages of running full synthetic in an auto trans is the fluids ability to withstand higher temps without damaging fluid. Your transfer case doesn't develop the heat of a torque converter.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok, thanks

I ended up going with Mobil 1 synthetic. You are right, the fluid I drained was pretty thin, but it only cost me $20 for 3 litres of Mobil and it would have been $11 for a gallon of regular ATF
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Not to bring up from the dead but does it matter if you use at dextron /mercon In the t case?
97 cummins auto 2500 eclb 4x4. Gauges, 5inch mbrp exhaust, s&b intake, KDP tabbed, 0 plate slid forward, ARP studded. Timing 18.5 phatshaft 62/65/12 ,BD boots, DFI 5x14, 4k gsk, 60k valve springs. CPP traction bars, TRE built valve body and billet single converter. Mag hytec dd trans pan.

03 3500 h.o auto. DRW, cclb. 4x4. S&b cold air. 5" diamond eye exhaust. Smarty s-06, cumminscat -2 mic. Mag hytec double deep trans pan.
nWilk666 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I use dexron II in the entire transmission. Says right on the dipstick it can be used.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm assuming your talking about the t case?
97 cummins auto 2500 eclb 4x4. Gauges, 5inch mbrp exhaust, s&b intake, KDP tabbed, 0 plate slid forward, ARP studded. Timing 18.5 phatshaft 62/65/12 ,BD boots, DFI 5x14, 4k gsk, 60k valve springs. CPP traction bars, TRE built valve body and billet single converter. Mag hytec dd trans pan.

03 3500 h.o auto. DRW, cclb. 4x4. S&b cold air. 5" diamond eye exhaust. Smarty s-06, cumminscat -2 mic. Mag hytec double deep trans pan.
nWilk666 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I never got around to changing the transfer case fluid, but if i did i would runs standard dexron II. This case is going out the door in a few months anyway
Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

My 96 called for ATF I used ATF+4 witch is synthetic, got the Wal-Mart brand.

Floyd
blackimpala is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.