sluggish take off - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation sluggish take off

took the truck out this morning (1997 12v 5.9 L) felt like I had a load too heavy to pull with truck empty. once I got moving every thing seemed normal. She did it all day. Feel like I'm startin' out in 3rd gear, or with a really heavy load. doesn't do it in reverse, 4h, 4l, but does do it in 1st, 2nd, D, and OD. I'm scared. I feed my kids with this truck.
mozgreen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Hmmm fuel issue

Fuel filter is easiest

Maybe the line from the manifold to the top of the afc broke and your only getting pre-boost fueling

Lift pump maybe
The Following User Says Thank You to estrada5.9 For This Useful Post:
mozgreen (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a pre filter? I just put new fuel filter on about 3000 miles ago.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Yeah could be it is right next to the lift pump.

You just drop the bottom out of it and clean the screen out.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again. I'll look into it.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Sounds like your in "limp mode". Go ahead and try the filter and prefilter, but since you say it runs fine once you get up to speed, then I would look at trans. Next time you drive truck, count the number of shifts. You should have 4 definite changes in RPM's as you get up to speed. If shifts are missing as you describe, first, try checking for codes with an OBDII scan tool. If codes are present they will give you a direction to go. Most times if you are in limp mode they will be present since the computer controls trans. Also, check the simple things first like fluid level. Always check fluid with engine running at idle, parking brake engaged, trans in neutral and up to temp. What color and smell is fluid? If not bright red and smells burnt, then bad things could have already happened. Limp mode is caused by governer pressure signal that is sent to PCM. It can be caused by low or high governer pressures detected, bad signal altogether that is caused by bad sensor, solenoid or wiring. You may also need a pressure check on trans to verify whether a sensor, solenoid or trans itself is bad.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

i thought trans at first, checked fluid level, and condition of fluid, it all seemed good. if i don't get it figured out by monday, i'll borrow my buddies scanner.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I took her out again, definitely not shifting. I do get lock up at about 40mph, and she does manually shift in and out of OD. I started in 1st and it was no different then starting in Drive, then I tried it again, and she started out normal, manually shifted into second, then drive and it was fine. I stopped and started again the same way and it was bad again. Definitely seems like a sensor or wiring.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Blood

I agree with the govener pressure sensor or wiring. Try and get your buddies scanner this weekend see what it reads.
www.getsomeperformance.com
Facebook Page
FOR FREE PARTS CLICK HERE
Get Some Performance is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can any one show me a picture of the governor sensor. I got a good look at what I think is the governor sensor and it was loose, a little fluid was seeping there, and the harness does not seem like it is plugged in real tightly. My dad has an OBDII scan tool but it is a real cheap one and did not read any codes. I won't have access to a good one 'til Monday.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The governer sensor is on the valve body inside of the trans. There is the governer solenoid and sensor located together on the front of valve body on the passenger corner. Only way to see it is with pan off trans. Best way to verify that solenoid and/or sensor is bad is to get hydraulic pressures checked. This way you will know what pressure actually is and if PCM is getting a bad signal. PCM could actually be getting a good signal and you have low hydraulic pressure and PCM is trying to save what is left of your trans.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

what is the part I amlooking at on the driver side which I mentioned above? It has three prongs, and the harness plugs in there, and then runs wires further back on the trans. It was loose, and the harness will not seat properly when I tried to plug it back in after tightening the mystery sensor I am referring to. I have an ATS trans if that helps. I bought the truck with it, and obviously don't know much, let alone the difference between an ATS or stock trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.