AFC mods. tips??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question AFC mods. tips???

So i just bought my first cummins a little while ago. 97 2500 12v, reg cab, standard bed. Its a great truck, body in great shape (minor dents/scratches) it has a 4inch straight pipe, with a four inch intake. thats about it for modifications; wanted to start out with a stock truck to see what i could get out of it, and for $3000 im not complaining.

Anyway, im planning on modifying the AFC housing this weekend to get a bit more usable fuel into the motor. here is the page i pulled up for the info on what to do: afc mods (lots of pics) - DieselRam.com

I have an adjustable boost elbow on the way, planning on running about 30psi. found a great deal on some 40hp injectors that im also waiting to install. I have read reviews on the 100 fuel plate and most seem pleased with it over any other. my issue is that i have no idea where to get the plate from! also hear that grinding down the stock plate has great results, just not sure which route to take.

Can anybody tell me what to expect with the Afc mods performed as shown in the link above?

Any tips on the things i have mentioned would be great guys, like i said im new to the cummins motors and id love to hear what people more experienced than i know. thanks, Colt.
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I just did that, except for cutting the foot. The truck is noticeably faster but I am having trouble getting smoke.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

From what ive learned, if u want smoke, upgrade ur injectors and turn ur smoke screw all the way in. Ur fuel plate slid forward should also help. Thats from what ive read so far. But smoke is just unused fuel, no performance gains.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Btw if ur exhaust is stock that cuts out alot of ur smoke, if u cant change ur exhaust i suggest beating on ur mufflers to try to break up some of the excess soot buildup
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I didn't want that much smoke, I thought I read that if the AFC is tuned right ya suppose to get a puff of smoke on take off. I do get a puff if I am on a dirt road but if I take off from a cement road I get nothing. I would think that I should get a puff of smoke when I rev the engine in Park but I don't know for sure. I go try to find that thread about AFC tuning.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Where were u sittin for egts when u installed ur fuel plate? How noticable was the performance increase? Also, how much psi are u running
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i recently did my afc fuel plate and gov springs. and its awesome. whole new truck.

i did the afc and fuel plate with the boost elbow together, so i do not know the difference it would of been with just the afc done. i did all the afc mods you have in that link above, 100 fuel plate. and set the boost elbow to 30psi.

i get a decent puff of smoke if i hit the pedal about 3/4 of the way down when startting in gear. and then it clears up.

you can get the fuel plate on ebay. does do a search for fuel plate. they are about 30 dollars and thats where i got mine.
96 Dually. 2WD. 5 Inch Straight Exhaust, AFE Intake, KDP Fixed, Gauges, 100 Fuel Plate, 3k GSK, BD Intercooler Boots, 4:10s, Borgeson Box. Borgeson Shaft, Flatbed, All LED lights
kayden101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Here's another good link.
12 Valve AFC Mod's - New England Turbo Diesel Power
Even in that thread it indicates that I should be getting more smoke than I am, considering that I have my plate and AFC full forward the star wheel cranked all the way, the smoke screw is level with nut....I'm thinking that it should be ALOT of smoke. Maybe some one will chime in and let me know how much smoke I should be seeing.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtLacey View Post
Where were u sittin for egts when u installed ur fuel plate? How noticable was the performance increase? Also, how much psi are u running

i have a 4inch and 5 inch tip straight turbo back exhaust. driving down the highway i see about 600 degrees at 70mph and after the mods it stayed the same.

now when i floor it on the highway its gets pretty close to 1300 degress sometimes... but i just let off a sec and it comes back down.

BTW this is all on a empty weight and pulling no trailer.

some people say different stuff but after the afc and fuel plate mod i did together, with the 100 plate. it felt like the truck was almost twice as fast then before. i was very impress what that 30 dollar plate did.

and im runnign 30psi/35psi when i floor it.... everyone says that anything over 35psi is just blowing hot air, so id keep it under that
96 Dually. 2WD. 5 Inch Straight Exhaust, AFE Intake, KDP Fixed, Gauges, 100 Fuel Plate, 3k GSK, BD Intercooler Boots, 4:10s, Borgeson Box. Borgeson Shaft, Flatbed, All LED lights
Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloy5365 View Post
Here's another good link.
12 Valve AFC Mod's - New England Turbo Diesel Power
Even in that thread it indicates that I should be getting more smoke than I am, considering that I have my plate and AFC full forward the star wheel cranked all the way, the smoke screw is level with nut....I'm thinking that it should be ALOT of smoke. Maybe some one will chime in and let me know how much smoke I should be seeing.
you running a stock exhaust? you def should be see some smoke when gunning it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm new to all this so I read up on tuning the AFC and today I took it off, ditched the the plate, took apart the diaphragm and took out the cupped washer and replaced it with a flat one, ground 1/8" off the afc foot, and got me a BHAF for about $80. I have played with the star wheel and smoke screw a little. I am into it the $80 + the fuel I burnt up. It is a noticable difference. All that said I have a rebuilt trans with some kevlar bands and such. I get a puff of smoke when I blip the throttle. I also smoked out the poor guy behind me who has his windows down and sunroof open when I took off from a light. I could feel the tires trying to grab the pavement.

I hope this helps. I just searched a bit before I tore into it. Its a pretty 'in setup on these 12 valves if you ask me.

The boost went from 30 to 35, to 40+psi. I can easily tag 1200 degrees. The egt's do come right back down though. I can see how this can break a trans.

Last edited by Sport350024v; 04-22-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Sport350024v is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

you can get the plate and elbow on ebay for $35.nice one piece plate hardened there are a few guys selling them for all different prices up to $200 for the same stuff
1997 3500 Dually 4x4 ,5 spd, 241DHD,410's,#10 Plate,Tuned AFC, Ajustable Boost Elbow, KDP Jigged, , 4" Turbo back, 19.5 Alloy Wheels/245/70R19.5, Level Kit, 5100 Bilsteins,BDD Tracbar/Steer box stab , Poly Bushings, Isspro Guages Pyro-Fuel-Boost1Orig Owner
WUTNOIZE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.