How does the oil get into the radiator? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Their is no pressurized oil between the head and block (other than the pushrods which are completely unaffected by the headgasket) which, again would make it impossible to loose 3 gallons of oil in the matter of a couple minutes due to a headgasket failure.

That kind of oil loss into the coolant means that your loosing pressurized oil into the coolant and the easiest and most common way for THAT to happen would be the oil cooler

Headgasket failures will allow some residual fuel/oil thats in the cylinder to enter the cooling system and make one hell of a mess out of it, but wont move that kind of oil in such a short time
read this again.....
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I realized that i have no idea when the gasket lifted and it could have been slowly leaking oil the whole trip.

my oil cooler is good, so where else could it have came from if it wasnt the headgasket....there is obviously pressurized oil that goes to the rocker stands via the head bolt holding each rocker stand down.....so if the gasket was broke between that head bolt hole and the water jacket hole it could have been pumping oil directly into the water jacket..

also why my engine may have been ticking because of a lack of oil to one of the rocker stands
Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Ahh thts right too...

i suppose that its possible for their to have been some gasket damage around the headbolt for the rocker. did you find any?
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

dont the rockers get their oil thru the pushrods that comes thru the lifters like a gasser?
1997 3500 Dually 4x4 ,5 spd, 241DHD,410's,#10 Plate,Tuned AFC, Ajustable Boost Elbow, KDP Jigged, , 4" Turbo back, 19.5 Alloy Wheels/245/70R19.5, Level Kit, 5100 Bilsteins,BDD Tracbar/Steer box stab , Poly Bushings, Isspro Guages Pyro-Fuel-Boost1Orig Owner
WUTNOIZE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Ahh thts right too...

i suppose that its possible for their to have been some gasket damage around the headbolt for the rocker. did you find any?
this is kind of what ive been trying to explain to you the entire time! didnt see any major damage but a friend said that sometimes you wont see anything. and my rocker had been ticking for over two weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTNOIZE View Post
dont the rockers get their oil thru the pushrods that comes thru the lifters like a gasser?
nope! the oil comes out the the block up through the shaft of the head bolt,then there is a small passage on the bottom of the pedastool then there is a hollow area inside the pedestool and then there are holes in the rocker mounts which lets the oil flow on the top of the rocker to the valve.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeP View Post
this is kind of what ive been trying to explain to you the entire time! didnt see any major damage but a friend said that sometimes you wont see anything. and my rocker had been ticking for over two weeks....

nope! the oil comes out the the block up through the shaft of the head bolt,then there is a small passage on the bottom of the pedastool then there is a hollow area inside the pedestool and then there are holes in the rocker mounts which lets the oil flow on the top of the rocker to the valve.
ahhh.. interesting .... so as u can guess now i havent gotten too far into the internals of my cummins
thanks for that info....Ive had gassers my whole life..and im now just getting into my cummins that ive had since brand new,,
1997 3500 Dually 4x4 ,5 spd, 241DHD,410's,#10 Plate,Tuned AFC, Ajustable Boost Elbow, KDP Jigged, , 4" Turbo back, 19.5 Alloy Wheels/245/70R19.5, Level Kit, 5100 Bilsteins,BDD Tracbar/Steer box stab , Poly Bushings, Isspro Guages Pyro-Fuel-Boost1Orig Owner
WUTNOIZE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Im learning as i get into more stuff under the hood and researching on my own. but you would be surprised how little info about the magical inside of a cummins engine is online!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I had a 97 that did the same. Pumped oil into the coolant real quick.

If you look at the hd gasket, the oil travels from the oil cooler across the engine to a oil gallery that runs full length oil engine, under each clyinder, goes up around the head bolt to the rocker arm stand to the tappet and then down the push rod into the crank case.
Now if you look at the head and gasket you will see a path about an inch long where the oil will go from the block across this path to the skinny head bolt and then up. My point is that the hole from the block is not aligned to the the hole in the head. I hopes the helps.

In My case after a new head gasket, it still pumped oil into the coolant. I removed the head and jacked the rear of the truck up so that the block was level. Got some 5/16 wooden dowel rod and blocked all the passages in the block but the # 1 hole. Filled the water jacket level. Blew air in the # 1 hole and got bubbles coming from the water jacket. Turned out that there was a hole between the oil gallery and the water jacket. Junked Block! Electrolses? 230K miles and happened all at once!
Cummins store sells a additive to prevent this.

If I were you you, I would do this test before reinstalling the head!

Tom
gozapper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozapper View Post
I had a 97 that did the same. Pumped oil into the coolant real quick.

If you look at the hd gasket, the oil travels from the oil cooler across the engine to a oil gallery that runs full length oil engine, under each clyinder, goes up around the head bolt to the rocker arm stand to the tappet and then down the push rod into the crank case.
Now if you look at the head and gasket you will see a path about an inch long where the oil will go from the block across this path to the skinny head bolt and then up. My point is that the hole from the block is not aligned to the the hole in the head. I hopes the helps.

In My case after a new head gasket, it still pumped oil into the coolant. I removed the head and jacked the rear of the truck up so that the block was level. Got some 5/16 wooden dowel rod and blocked all the passages in the block but the # 1 hole. Filled the water jacket level. Blew air in the # 1 hole and got bubbles coming from the water jacket. Turned out that there was a hole between the oil gallery and the water jacket. Junked Block! Electrolses? 230K miles and happened all at once!

Tom
Any idea what that addative is called?
ROBBIESWORLD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

nitrates and nitrites.....you can get them at any diesel shop along with test strips. to tell you how much to add
Old 03-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Gozapper is right i have seen this on a John Deer 4030 before only problem was it was on a blower running just about wide open when she just stopped. Now we run this additive.
1997 RCLB SLT Laramie, 4" Straight Pipe, KnN Air Filter,ARP Headstuds, NV4500 swap with Kenny's Pulling Clutch, now just need some gauges and let the power start accumulating. Some go fast parts laying on the bench just waiting to be put to use
ThatStevensKid11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozapper View Post

Turned out that there was a hole between the oil gallery and the water jacket. Junked Block! Electrolses? 230K miles and happened all at once!

Tom
This is called cavitation, and the old Ford IDI diesels are famous for this. I have never heard of a Cummins having this problem. You can do plenty of reading on cavitation online and how it happens. Basically its an affect that happens when gas bubbles form and collapse on the cylinder walls. Over time the process can errode the cylinder walls so thin that there will be a failure. It can be prevented by keeping the coolant fresh and clean, and also by putting in additives which protect the cylinder walls.
'98 12v QCLB TPD Bilt Auto, 4x4, 3.54 Gears, KDP Tabbed, Boost/Pyro, 100 Plate FF, 4k GSK, 17* Timing, BHAF w/Lime Green Outerwear, Pusher Al. Intake, 5" Rollin Smoke Exhaust, 6" Skyjacker DT Profab Track Bar and Steering Stabilizer, 35s
jevansx1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.