6.7/68RE Swap - Have it all - Pics - Need info! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
6.7/68RE Swap - Have it all - Pics - Need info!

Hey guys, i have a '95 12v that runs great, actually i have a reman'd longblock in it with about 12 miles lol.....

This truck is going to tow my 30' enclosed trailer, with my car in it, thats it. Now, the trailer & car weigh about 10,000lbs loaded, i know its not much of a task for a 12v BUT i got a GREAT deal on this motor/trans out of a wrecked truck that has 63,000 km - prob 40,000 miles. Motor is a 6.7 with 68RE transmission

Now i know people are going to say "leave the 12v its fine" and i realize this, i've owned a few I also own an '03 and its a great truck too.

Im wondering, how much of a PITA is it going to be to make this functional. I have everything right down to the starter/alternator & can get anything else i need. I assume the box bolted to the drivers side on the block is all the wiring/cpu for the engine. I have all the wiring harnesses i think i will need.

I've done some searching, but not much info. The only thing im not sure about is the throttle - i assume its fly by wire. Am i going to need the gas pedal from the other truck or maybe just whats connected to it?

Im looking for a gain in performance AND power. I know the 24v have a MUCH broader power curve than my 12v, tons of torque at all throttle positions.

As for the fabrication/replumbing of the turbo system, etc im not worried about, lots of time on that stuff in my car. The trans is from a 4wd & it would be going into my truck - 2wd....i realize the back tailhousing & shaft would have to be changed & it so happens my best friend is also my trans guy, so that wouldnt be an issue at all.

I've been doing some reading, and realize the trans in factory form was able to be "paddle shifted" so i can go this way as well...

Any help would be great, here's some pics....

Turbo T/A is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

looks like that thing had a rough 40k...........
Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

my 205,000 mile 12 valve dosent look that rough.....
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

it can be done but its going to be an electrical nightmare!

If you plan on using that trans you had better go and grab the PCM and hope that its still good!

I will also say that that thing either had a VERY rough 40k or it was more like 400k...
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

LOL well i really dont know how much mileage, only going by what I was told & it really doesnt matter anyways as the motor is only 3 yrs old lol...really who cares. It apparantly had 63K, it was a work truck. This motor is in Ontario Canada aka salt every winter & worked hard, prob out of a plow truck. I had 550k on my old 12v before this one & that thing was rock solid, started & pulled like it was fresh....so mileage on any Cummins as far as im concerned is besides the point.

I have another control module, is this the PCM? If not, anyone know how to wire it up to a paddle shift....or which wires upshift/downshift & lockup?

Last edited by Turbo T/A; 02-28-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Help guys! I would really like to do this swap!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo T/A View Post
LOL well i really dont know how much mileage, only going by what I was told & it really doesnt matter anyways as the motor is only 3 yrs old lol...really who cares. It apparantly had 63K, it was a work truck. This motor is in Ontario Canada aka salt every winter & worked hard, prob out of a plow truck. I had 550k on my old 12v before this one & that thing was rock solid, started & pulled like it was fresh....so mileage on any Cummins as far as im concerned is besides the point.

im gonna try and be respectful here. but you are so wrong its not even funny, these common rails are not even close to what our 12v's are. to be honest i wouldnt touch that POS. that old 12valve of yours can have monster power and still get 20mpg, AND be more reliable than the sunrise. So why in the hell would you wanna trade her out for a problem child like the 6.7????? even if this motor somewhat runs ok, which it probably doesnt by the looks of it. ykdave is sadly right, the electronics these turds run off of will be an absolute nightmare to find much less wire up. i know this isnt what u wanted to hear but hey, im jsut tryin to give you my best advice
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
it can be done but its going to be an electrical nightmare!

If you plan on using that trans you had better go and grab the PCM and hope that its still good!

I will also say that that thing either had a VERY rough 40k or it was more like 400k...
I didn't catch... but did you say if you have seen that motor start and work? If you have all the resources and time to get the electronics situated then more power to ya!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

ROFL yes the motor starts and WORKS !!!!!!! Wow you guys are too much.

Its dirty, get over it! Its out of a work truck. We dont baby our trucks up here, they're built to be WORKED not washed!

and i thought the "fast streetcar" scene was full of haters, wow!!!

-Carm
Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

nope but cummins forum is guys with alot of common sense....and my common sense is telling me to tell you to stay away from it. were not tryin to be rude, were just sayin it looks like your gonna spend alot of money for something that may or may not work and probably wont be worth it.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Absolutely.....and thats exactly what i needed to hear.

I figured this wouldnt be that bad since i have everything, and could get it done. Now i look at it, and i dont have the time to devote to the electrical end of it. I have a buddy coming over right now that may be interested in doing the electrical end...if that pans out then i guess i'll be the first to attempt it
Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

i mean if this was like a fun "lets see if this would work", i'd be right there with ya, but if you want a reliable hauler its hard to beat the 12v
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.