Front axle yoke - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Front axle yoke

There is one bolt broke off in the yoke thats on the front axle and to get all the rest out its gonna take heat and they may break. So i was wondering wat kinda yoke and need and where i can get it.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I would try to reuse your yoke without removing it to avoid disturbing the pinion bearing crush sleeve.

To help get the screws loose, I give them a smart whack on the top of the head with a 1.5 lb hammer and a rigid punch. The blow loosens the threads.

Some of the factory screws I have seen used have a factory applied thread locking compound (nylock patch) that softens when heated. A little intense heat from the propane+oxygen cutting torch applied to the yoke in the vicinity of the threads is OK, but don't overheat it to the point that you damage the pinion seal.

On really stubborn ones, I have oxy-acetylene welded a nut onto the broken screw stub. The heat loosens it and the nut gives something to grab onto.

One other tip: LEFT HAND DRILL BITS. The heat and friction from drilling sometimes gets the screws stub out by itself.

Good luck from the rustbelt.

lets go vintage drag racing: www.meltdowndrags.com
Art is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

alright ill try that the one screw is broke off down in there so should i just drill and tap it? thats the main reason i wanted to just get a new yoke and not worry bout it being weakened and the pinion seal should be replaced because its leaking.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

Well since the oil seal is leaking, it needs to come off then.

Here is a similar thread:

front end leak with pics

Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

either way where can i get a new yoke?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

- Stealership (bring Vaseline)
- Ebay (search for both '7290' and 'Dana 60')
- Summit / Jegs (under Mopar Performance parts)
- Your local driveline service shop that builds driveshafts will probably be the cheapest/fastest
- Online axle parts company such as Reider Racing
- Or a junkyard for a used one.

You need a Dana 60 yoke (fyi, Dana 70 uses the same yoke and oil seal). It is 29 spline and I am pretty sure a 7290 U-joint. 7290 is 2-5/8" between the locating snap rings whereas 2-1/8" is the 7260 U-joint. I think it is even the exact same yoke used on the older 3/4 ton Dodge trucks Dana 60 rear axle as well as the 1966-1971 MoPar car Dana 60 application. Ford Dana 60 truck applications used different U-joints and therefore different yokes

Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

Scoll down to the 'stores' section...A bit expensive, but you can get it in a hurry:

dana 60 7290. Great deals on eBay!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i would just use the one you got and go and spend 5 bucks on a reverse drill bit and make sure you get one that is a bit smaller than the hole then just slowly start cleaning out the threads with a tap. if you do it right you can keep the original thread pitch and size.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram tuff96 View Post
i would just use the one you got and go and spend 5 bucks on a reverse drill bit and make sure you get one that is a bit smaller than the hole then just slowly start cleaning out the threads with a tap. if you do it right you can keep the original thread pitch and size.
I certainly would too. Even if it meant thru-drilling it and placing a nut on the back end.

But, he insisted.

If one reuses the old yoke and reinstalls the pinion nut to the EXACT same position, the pinion bearing preload will be maintained.

I just hate crush sleeves....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.