Help! Chevy/Cummins Conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Help! Chevy/Cummins Conversion

Hi All, Has anybody used or in favor of the motor mount/crossmember piece from Avalanche Engineering for 1973-91 Chevy conversion
93 Dodge D350 Cummins Dually
97 Dodge 2500 Cummins (Donor)
89 Dodge D250 Cummins (Donor)
Murdog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Use the mounts from the Dodge frame,,,, the 24v rattle alot more than the 12v, thus the biscuits are better,,, the GM mounts for either big block or 6.5 are not going to hold up very well. I grafted the stock cummins mounts into my chevy frame and built an under engine crossmember from 3" channel Iron. It dont look pretty, but my frame doesnt flex..... I looked at the Avalanch method and had my doubts about it holding up to the rough service and abusive conditions that I put my trucks thourgh. the engine/frame mounts for the GM was my biggest concern...... Avalanch also says to mount the intercooler upside down in the core support... I mounted mine the dodge way, and reinforced the core support with 1" tubing, the radiator fits alot nicer with the intercooler positioned correctly.
2001 24v Cummins, NV4500/NP205 transplant, 85 K30 CrewCab Dually D60, 14 Bolt 3:73....ATS Pulseflow, Banks Intake. BD I/C Boots, Jake Brake,(slightly modified) Studs, DDP 75hp inj, PDR HX35 HybridBuilt, NOT BOUGHT !!!!
wcuhillbilly is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to wcuhillbilly For This Useful Post:
Murdog (02-11-2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Avalanche crossmember

What was avalanche's reason for mounting the cooler upside down
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have no earthly idea,,,, I called them 2 years ago when I was getting reddy to do my conversion. He said mount it upside down to fit in the core support better. From what I can see, the intercooler is shaped to come out from around the Radiator specifically at the bottom of the radiator.... if the intercooler is positioned upside down, then the upper portion of the radiator tanks is in conflict with the intercooler..Not to mention the batteries are in the upper region of this area too.... I found alot of people bashing Autoworld in MT, I cant say Ive ever had anything worked on by them,,, but they were helpful when I called and pick'd their brain every now and then... I have a partial write up of how I set mine in and wired up the 24v, I can send it to you via email if you like.
2001 24v Cummins, NV4500/NP205 transplant, 85 K30 CrewCab Dually D60, 14 Bolt 3:73....ATS Pulseflow, Banks Intake. BD I/C Boots, Jake Brake,(slightly modified) Studs, DDP 75hp inj, PDR HX35 HybridBuilt, NOT BOUGHT !!!!

Last edited by wcuhillbilly; 02-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Murdog (02-12-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cooler

That would be great if you could send that
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check out Tennessee Diesel Conversions. I'm in the beginning stages of doing this conversion also. You can see their crossmember here: Tennessee Diesel Conversions - CK5 Forums I also only live 10 miles from Avalanche Engineering and will be stopping by there next week. I've seen there work up close and can say that it is very clean and professional looking.
nightmare73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nightmare73 For This Useful Post:
Murdog (02-15-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the difference between the two is that the Tennessee doesn't require the truck to be lifted where as the Avalanche a.k.a. De-Stroked requires at least a 4" lift. The Tennessee also costs more.
nightmare73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Know a guy via a friend/coworker of mine back in NC, that spent over $10,000 with Tennessee conversions,,,, his truck still isnt right. He procured the donor truck, and dropped his off with them. My guy has had to work on the clutch a couple of times, and the trans sounds like its grinding nails all the time,,,, called Tech about it,,, they said its supposed to
The reason the truck needs 4" of suspension lift (you can get by with 2" on 4x4) is for the oil pan to clear the front axle... most of these guys will tell you, "you will need to lift it 3" of body lift" I didnt, I cant stand body lifts, for the aspect of complicating the center of gravity and making it extremely topheavy,, Ive run a few of them, I run hard and fast, I want my body tied to the rails, especially in a rollover(previous experianc) Yes it is much easier to install the engine if there is a body lift on,,, My application was specific, thus for me a body lift doesnt work. for you it may.
Ive asked Crewcab59 a few times about this conversion back when I was rounding up the peices, the info that was given looked good on the surface but was peppered with "bring it to me" "buy my products, or wiring diagrams", kind of comments. I finally got fed up with the exclusiveness of the situation, and looked elsewhere. FordCummins was none better, I paid for the 24v wiring diagrams and write up from those guys, and found their instructions to be destructive. IE, splicing the engine harness at the ECM,,,, (this eleminates the chance of changing the engine harness on the side of the road if a short or partial engine fire ever occurs: heaven forbid you wired something wrong and it doesnt show up for 30,000miles???.) My wiring is spliced in before the 11 and 14 pin connectors of the engine harness, thus I can plug and play with any junkyard engine harness if need to...... Im not sellling anything so dont get that idea, anyone is welcome to the info and knowledge that I have aquired over the years. It is then up to the user to utilize said info or parts in a manner that works for them.
there are no shortcuts to this conversion,,,, you have to sit down and plan every move... biggest thing is that now you have a bastard truck that no one wants to touch and you as the owner driver must know, personally every inch of it, for when something happens, or goes down. Or be prepared to spend lots of denaro while the shop guys fiigure out your truck and basically learn it for themselves then start trying to figure out your conversion, and finally figure out the problem you are asking them to fix...

Last edited by wcuhillbilly; 02-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Murdog (02-15-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcuhillbilly View Post
Know a guy via a friend/coworker of mine back in NC, that spent over $10,000 with Tennessee conversions,,,, his truck still isnt right. He procured the donor truck, and dropped his off with them. My guy has had to work on the clutch a couple of times, and the trans sounds like its grinding nails all the time,,,, called Tech about it,,, they said its supposed to

there are no shortcuts to this conversion,,,, you have to sit down and plan every move... biggest thing is that now you have a bastard truck that no one wants to touch and you as the owner driver must know, personally every inch of it, for when something happens, or goes down. Or be prepared to spend lots of denaro while the shop guys fiigure out your truck and basically learn it for themselves then start trying to figure out your conversion, and finally figure out the problem you are asking them to fix...
Just finishing up my 85 chevy cummins conversion, what ever you do dont cut any corners or try to hurry throught it.
Murdog (02-15-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

I knew it wasn't going to be easy

Thanks for your input guy's. I really do want this conversion to look professional. I go to a lot of offroad events and I know the truck will get picked apart. I'm still up in the air with transmission/transfercase combo. I want it to be a manual and durable.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Murdog:... PM'ed you back with my 24v Cummins repower Documents, and Install pics,,,, hope your connection speed is good and the memory of your computor is free.....Lots of stuff there to absorb..... enjoy....

as far as tranny goes,,,, mine is the NV4500 off the 24v cummins in the pics.... it was mated to a mid 80s Dodge NP205 case off an old (cant remember,) Chrysler 727torqueflite or Getrag 5spd, from a Cummins,,, This particular case,(was built with mix of GM/Dodge guts) will mate to the NV4500 tail. (AA makes an aluminum kit for around a $Grand that does the same from a GM TH400 version of the NP205, with machining required). and there is a $75 coupler that was made by dodge that would connect the splines between the two... this part is fabled over at Pirate4x4, and no one seems to be able to come up with a part #,,,, sorry to say I cant either,,, forgot to tell the shop that did my trans rebuild to look for it while they were in there, and I dont feel like bench pressing a trans at -10*F just to look inside for a #..... I used AA's shifter braket for the 205 shifter linkage,,,, came back later and welded a coulpe supports to it, to keep the play out of the shifter, as the 205 will bind in gear and make it a pain in the rear to shift in and out of 4x4....

Last edited by wcuhillbilly; 02-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Murdog (02-15-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the Pics

I knew this dream was going to be expensive. How long did your conversion take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.