Whats the Difference 47RH 47RE - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Whats the Difference 47RH 47RE

Having a hard time explaining the diff between the 47rh and the 47re. -The 47RH was replaced by the 47RE. (The 4 was the number of gears, including an overdrive; the capacity rating of 7; R for rear wheel drive; and H for hydraulic control, or E for electronic control, though the substitution of E for H was more of a coding change than an engineering change).-

So they both have an electronic O/D lockout and are hydraulic shift controlled in gears 1-3. (O/D is electronic on both). Same convertor? So its simply a name change?
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The RE went to governer solenoid and sensor to control pressure. The RH had to governer in tail shaft and was mechanical. The easiest way to tell the difference is the plug where wires plug into trans coming from PCM. The RH has a 4 pin not quite flat like a trailer connector and the RE has a round 8 pin plug. The RH uses an external fluid temp sensor while the RE has a thermistor inside of the governer pressure sensor. The RE uses a combination of hydraulic pressure and PCM inputs on lower shifts. The RH has total hydraulic lower shifts. I've never put the two side by side, but I've heard the RH is a little longer. They do both take the same converter and most internals are the same. The two big changes are valve body and tail shaft. The numbers you have above are correct except for the "7", it stands for the trans being rated at 700 ft lbs torque. Some of the parts in trans can handle this much torque, but the converter and clutches don't like it for long. The transmission is basically the 727 torqueflite with and OD and lockup converter.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to RPegram For This Useful Post:
uppersalmon (03-18-2013)
Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,884 Times in 820 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPegram View Post
The RE went to governer solenoid and sensor to control pressure. The RH had to governer in tail shaft and was mechanical. The easiest way to tell the difference is the plug where wires plug into trans coming from PCM. The RH has a 4 pin not quite flat like a trailer connector and the RE has a round 8 pin plug. The RH uses an external fluid temp sensor while the RE has a thermistor inside of the governer pressure sensor. The RE uses a combination of hydraulic pressure and PCM inputs on lower shifts. The RH has total hydraulic lower shifts. I've never put the two side by side, but I've heard the RH is a little longer. They do both take the same converter and most internals are the same. The two big changes are valve body and tail shaft. The numbers you have above are correct except for the "7", it stands for the trans being rated at 700 ft lbs torque. Some of the parts in trans can handle this much torque, but the converter and clutches don't like it for long. The transmission is basically the 727 torqueflite with and OD and lockup converter.
The 7 does NOT mean it handles 700 ft-lbs. The 7 was a torque capacity rating.

TorqueFlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by patracy; 01-21-2010 at 06:12 AM.
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by patracy View Post
The 7 does NOT mean it handles 700 ft-lbs. The 7 was a torque capacity rating.

TorqueFlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I read that 700lbs somewhere, but now I can't find it. It sounded mighty high to me, but where I read it sounded like a trustworthy site. Since it did sound high, that's why I added above the trans wouldn't live long with that kind of torque even if was "supposed" to. Just goes to prove again you can't believe everything you read.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,884 Times in 820 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPegram View Post
I read that 700lbs somewhere, but now I can't find it. It sounded mighty high to me, but where I read it sounded like a trustworthy site. Since it did sound high, that's why I added above the trans wouldn't live long with that kind of torque even if was "supposed" to. Just goes to prove again you can't believe everything you read.
Yup, otherwise we'd be simply buying A999's for our trucks.
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The electrical connector for the RH has three pins. 1 is OD, 2 is ignition on 12 volts, 3 is TC lockup. I don't know what the pins are on the RE. The tail shaft is quite a bit shorter on the RE.
KDP tab fix info and fuel system article jgeorge1@suddenlink.net '95 2500 CC auto 4X4, 3.54, EGT, boost, fuel pressure, trans temp guages, PacBrake, TST #5, DTT VB, DTT triple disk TC, DTT billet flex plate, Cummins chrome kit.
Joe G. is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I actually just got off the phone with a tech at TCI who claims that the trans in my 1994 Ram CTD is of the 518 variant and since its not the 618 the convertor wont fit? Even though they are both 23 spline.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Is this guy right??
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

not to steal this or anything but whats in take to put a 47re in a 47rh truck?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Question, depending on what transmission it is, either 47RE or 47RH, what years came with what??
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilm99cumminss View Post
not to steal this or anything but whats in take to put a 47re in a 47rh truck?
You'll at least need the PCM and wiring harness for 47RE. I've read the RE is shorter, so you will also need driveshaft/s and possibly crossmember.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,056 Times in 1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris92 View Post
Question, depending on what transmission it is, either 47RE or 47RH, what years came with what??
'94&'95 came with a RH, newer with an RE
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illflem For This Useful Post:
eagle_f22 (07-24-2012), thepureface (10-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.