40 amp ignition fuse keeps blowing when key on - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
40 amp ignition fuse keeps blowing when key on

i keep blowing the 40 amp ignition fuse.. i have no idea why but when i put a new one in, pop it blows.. any help??
95 2500~AUTO w/ HD TC~K&N FILTER~#100 FUEL PLATE F.F.~AFC F.F. W/ DIAPHRAM & FOOT MODS~OFV MOD~ISSPRO EGT, 60 PSI BOOST, 30 PSI FP GAUGE~3KGSK~4" DOWNPIPE~215 INJECTORS~5" CAT STACKS~T/C LOCKUP SWITCH~TRACTION BARS~ LEVELING KIT~AIR BAGGED REAR
XECCLLC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i tried jumping the wires on the starter and the starter cranks, could it still be a bad starter?

i have no idea where to go with this
95 2500~AUTO w/ HD TC~K&N FILTER~#100 FUEL PLATE F.F.~AFC F.F. W/ DIAPHRAM & FOOT MODS~OFV MOD~ISSPRO EGT, 60 PSI BOOST, 30 PSI FP GAUGE~3KGSK~4" DOWNPIPE~215 INJECTORS~5" CAT STACKS~T/C LOCKUP SWITCH~TRACTION BARS~ LEVELING KIT~AIR BAGGED REAR
Old 12-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i just disconnected the big starter wire from the starter, i jumped the terminals for the fuse with a jumper wire cause i only have 2 fuses left, (i burnt 9 of them), and it started melting the jumper wire.... so i am assuming since there is no power to the starter, as in power wire disconnected, that it is not the starter

Last edited by XECCLLC; 12-31-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: word edit
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

ok now i disconnected the small wire to the starter and the big wire.. jumped the ignition fuse again, key on and started melting the jumper wire again..

its definitely not the starter...
Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

there are 2 igntion fuses in the box, the top one says ignition run, the bottom one says ignition run acc.. the one that is blowing is the ignition run which im assuming is the starter fuse cause i dont see one labeled starter
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Mine started popping fuses a month or so ago when I would go to start it. I cleaned the grounds at the battery and it hasn't popped any since. Clean all of your grounds even at the block and if it still does it I would say it is likely in the starter.
XECCLLC (12-31-2009)
Old 12-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Oh, man. Electrical issues are always a pain in the @$$. I would try getting a multimeter and check both sides of the fuse holder to ground. Hopefully, you won't have to go all the way up into the ignition switch to find the problem. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to these sorts of things, but that is where I would start. You've obviously got a short somewhere. Might as well not burn up your last two fuses. If you don't have a multimeter, even a cheapo would work just fine for troubleshooting this. You're only looking for continuity. Keep us posted!
ions82 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ions82 For This Useful Post:
XECCLLC (12-31-2009)
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

ok here is what i got now, starter wires are disconnected, i used my meter to check for continuity from the "hot side" of fuse to ground.. no cont.... i checked the "hot side" to pos on battery.. cont... so all good so far..

now i checked the "cold side" of fuse to ground, nothing, i checked it to positive on battery, nothing.. i turned THE KEY ON... now i have continuity from the "cold side" to the neg on battery and also the posi on battery...

so now im puzzled and confused cause i dont know what gets powered up with this circuit with key on

again it is the ignition run fuse 40 amp

NOT THE IGNITION RUN ACC FUSE
Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You definitly have a short somewhere. It has to be something that is drawing a lot of current to blow a 40a fuse. First off, I would check any electrical devices that could draw this much current, i.e., starter, starter solenoid, and fuel-shutoff solenoid come to mind. So you removed the red 12v power cable going to the starter, which is coming straight from your battery, and the fuse still blew, correct? Also, disconnect both this cable and leads going to the starter solenoid at the same time, and try again. I know when the starter shorts, it can also fry the fuel-shutoff solenoid. I would also try disconnecting the fuel-shutoff solenoid, which draws a lot of current, and then try again, it is possible the fuel-shutoff solenoid could be shorted and is sending current back thru to your ignition circuit.
98 Ram 3500(SRW Convert) 4x4 Quadcab,HP215 IP(15.5*,4K GSK,60lb springs),DAP 5x.016 SAC injectors,AFE Filter, Super B Special(64/71/14), 4" exhaust, gauges,47re stage 5 billit in/out shafts,dunrite VB,727DD pan,ATS 5-star TC,Borgeson gear box/shaft,3.54 gears.
FlaCracker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Where Is The Fuel Shut Off Solenoid?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Right next to the AFC housing, which is just behind the delivery valves. It's a cylindrical looking thing that has a rubber boot extending down.

-J
lastcall190 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to lastcall190 For This Useful Post:
XECCLLC (12-31-2009)
Old 12-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

So I Was Able To Get The Truck Started.. I Dont Know What I Did But It Fired Up.. But I Shut It Off And Now Its Doing The Same Thing!!!! Uuhhhggg Wat In The Heck Is Wrong With This Thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.