power steering and brake problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
power steering and brake problems

My power steering works ok as long as I have my foot into the throttle. When I slow down I lose it and so when I pull into the parking lot of a store I have to gun it and pull into a slot real fast which scares my wife ha ha. I also usually have enough brake to stop but they are not right. Sometimes there is barely enough to stop me. If I push on the brakes I cant have power steering also. Both of my brake lights stay on all the time. Is this all caused by the power steering pump or is there another issue.
tattooed diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,387 Posts
Hydroboost. Make sure you have enough powersteering fluid in there first. If that checks out you are looking at rebuilding it.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

What year truck? '94-'96 had vacuum assist power brakes and '97 switched to hydraboost which gets boost from power steering pump.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,573 Posts
Maybe your idle is too low.
Should 750-800 rpm with auto in D or manual in N with A/C on.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i have the same problem mines a 96' auto. I know im leakin power steering fluid like no other (and have ALOT of free play in my steering) but even when i fill the resivor up its still hard to turn at low speeds.
countryboi2508 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

same problem in my 99. replaced hydro-booster,master cylinder. abs sensors. bleed the brakes till the store ran out of brake fluild... same thing. So today i was going to change the powersteering pump thinking it was putting out weak pressure. but i read so much on flushing out your system so i flushed my power steering reservoir and blew my lines clean with air. My brake pedal now returns a lot better.(brake light still on for a few seconds after off brake no long 5 mins) I can hold my foot on the brake and steer back and forth(a first). and i don't have to use both feet to stop. but it still isn't to my liking. So tomorrow im going to flush it out with a gallon of ATF and see what happens it sounds like we have the same problem to a "T" hope this help you out.

P.s can anyone tell me if there is a filter anywhere inline or in pump thanks
1998 24v cummins 4x4 automatic silencer ring MIA 95/95 fass fuel system shoulda went bigger Farmboy diesel 5inch single exhaust straight pipe with 6inch tip, edge juice with attitude When you have the right tools Its as easy as smokin' a cigarette
98may7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

their is a pump in the pressure fitting on the back of the pump, more of a screen actually, but they can plug up
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

power steering

Fixing rams .com has o kit with instructions on how to rebuild vacum pump.I did both pumps for less then $200.00.Use reman power steering pump from carquest.
Don O
Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Question

i have no power steering now and brakes i have to literally push pedal down hard to get it stopped, mines got the hydroboost, which has been leaking for over a year and half, tonite i think it finally gave, power steering is full, vacuum pump to the front cover is leaking oil alil, front cover was replaced. any help on this matter.... New Hydroboost or what????????????????
Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Until you get your powersteering fixed, your not going to have brakes. The fluid goes to steering gear before going to brake booster, so with no power to gear, your not going to have brakes either. If your hydraboost is leaking, then it is definitely bad. Replacing the hydraboost probably won't fix the powersteering or give you power brakes back. You'll need to address that issue with power steering pump or gear or both. Sounds like your going to have to break down and spend a chunk of money on maintenance.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

i pulled the pressure line off the power steering and took out the 1" nut that holds the valve in.. Looked thought the small filter/screen and it was blocked just about solid...so i took it all apart (spring and ball out) sprayed it clean w/ carb cleaner and reinstalled it helped with the brake pedal sticking to the floor but pedal still returns slow most of the time and have to pull it back up with my foot so the brake light goes out.. is this because there might be air in the lines yet??
1998 24v cummins 4x4 automatic silencer ring MIA 95/95 fass fuel system shoulda went bigger Farmboy diesel 5inch single exhaust straight pipe with 6inch tip, edge juice with attitude When you have the right tools Its as easy as smokin' a cigarette
98may7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

what can i look for too see if i have hydoboost?

thanks
josh

2006 f250. Egr delete, s&b intake
joshbaker96dually is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to joshbaker96dually For This Useful Post:
woodscapes (04-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.