Wanting to change my 410 to a 373 rear end - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wanting to change my 410 to a 373 rear end

I have a 95 12v with a 4:10 rear end. I am wanting to change it out for a 3:73. i have been told i will get better fuel mileage an faster highway speeds. Since right now at wide open i do about 82 mph. i also pull will it majorly affect my pulling?
95 ironhorse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

really? ive heard this complant before but my 410's can hit 90+ with ease on the freeway...

I mean i too would like 373's but only to lower my revs at 75mph. Do you really want to cruise at 90mph in this thing?
1996 12v SLT Extended Cab 2500 | AutoCraptic | 2WD | BHAF | 17" 3rd Gen Wheels | 1 Ton Chevy Brake cylinders (AWESOME!) | 5" MBRP w/ Muffler | AFC Forward | Starwheel a few clicks up | 3k GSK | Autometer Gauges | Interior Color change in progress CLICK HERE
revlis240 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

With 3.73s, it will take 10% more torque to turn the pinion gear, which means you'll be putting 10% more stress on your transmission, U-joints, etc.

To make up for that, you'll lower your rpms by 10% which should put you into a better rpm range to make power and will almost certainly help your highway mileage.

I went from 4.10s to 3.55s (a 15% change) and couldn't be happier. I haven't pulled any really heavy loads with the new gears, but my rpms at 65 dropped from 2100 to 1800 where the engine seems to work the best. At 75, the truck runs at 2100 now instead of 2250 where it was right on the edge of falling on it's face. My mileage at 65 went from 18 to 24.

You just have to ask yourself whether it's worth losing 10% of your power and putting 10% more stress on your drivetrain to drop your rpms by 10%.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

whats involved in changing the rear end ratio? a job that can be done in the driveway or a shop?
1996 12v SLT Extended Cab 2500 | AutoCraptic | 2WD | BHAF | 17" 3rd Gen Wheels | 1 Ton Chevy Brake cylinders (AWESOME!) | 5" MBRP w/ Muffler | AFC Forward | Starwheel a few clicks up | 3k GSK | Autometer Gauges | Interior Color change in progress CLICK HERE
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

No i dont want to crusie 90+ in it i wouldnt mine being able to crusie a 75 or 80 sometimes an not be wide open...... this would be a home job swapinig out rear ends... My truck also has a low geared tranny also wat is that going to do to affect it. i have a granny 5speed so really only 4 gears
95 ironhorse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 ironhorse View Post
No i dont want to crusie 90+ in it i wouldnt mine being able to crusie a 75 or 80 sometimes an not be wide open...... this would be a home job swapinig out rear ends... My truck also has a low geared tranny also wat is that going to do to affect it. i have a granny 5speed so really only 4 gears
It won't do much to your tranny, but taller gears will be tougher on your clutch.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

this is making me glad i got the auto and not the stick.

did all NV4500's have that granny 1st? the 47RE has a wicked OD that apparantly drops the revs 2-300 rpm more than the 5th gear OD of the NV4500...
Old 12-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The factory gears for your truck were either 4:10's or 3:54's. Unless you are towing real heavy quite often, or running some hero tire size your truck will be happier with the 3:54's.

04.5 Pac Brake, Edge J/A, Brite Box/Bulbzilla.
cksh8me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlis240 View Post
whats involved in changing the rear end ratio? a job that can be done in the driveway or a shop?
It can be done in the driveway, but should be done by someone who understands the terms "backlash", "pinion depth", and "bearing preload". Additionally, the right tools are needed - including at minimum a dial indicator and a case spreader.

The tolerance on the pinion depth setting (i.e. position) is +/- 0.002"

If done properly, the gearsets will run quiet and last. If done improperly, the gearsets will at least make noise and worst case fail.

I have done several ratio changes on Dana axles (driveway, workbench, racetrack), and none of them made noise.

Where are you located at? I am in SE Wisconsin.

The other (and many times easier too) option is to get an entire axle assembly with the right ratio and swap it all into your truck. I do have some 3.54 Dana 70 rear axles out of 1992 and 1994 3/4 ton Ram trucks.
Art is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Art For This Useful Post:
revlis240 (12-15-2009)
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would love to swap out mine to 3.54, I have 4.10s now and im putting in a 6 speed in a few weeks and will no longer need 4.10s.
Jaysdodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a 5 speed and 4.10's and I almost always take off in second unless I'm towing over 3000 pounds. I ended up putting 35 inch terra grapplers which helped a bit, but I still take off in second most of the time. With the right back spacing on the wheels, my 35's fit on there stock with no lift and no wheel rub. I imagine that's much cheaper than regearin, and even if you do rub a little, a new set of coil spring and the tires will still be cheaper than regearing. That's just my two cents. Not every body likes the big tires but it adds a nice look and fills in those wheel wells a little bit.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
It can be done in the driveway, but should be done by someone who understands the terms "backlash", "pinion depth", and "bearing preload". Additionally, the right tools are needed - including at minimum a dial indicator and a case spreader.

The tolerance on the pinion depth setting (i.e. position) is +/- 0.002"

If done properly, the gearsets will run quiet and last. If done improperly, the gearsets will at least make noise and worst case fail.

I have done several ratio changes on Dana axles (driveway, workbench, racetrack), and none of them made noise.

Where are you located at? I am in SE Wisconsin.

The other (and many times easier too) option is to get an entire axle assembly with the right ratio and swap it all into your truck. I do have some 3.54 Dana 70 rear axles out of 1992 and 1994 3/4 ton Ram trucks.
Art,
Thanks for the info. I am out in socal

So basically the easiest thing to do sounds like is to grab the entire rear axle. I would imagine though, that it is heavier than a pregnant elephant. Where are you guys buying your gear sets anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.