plug truck in? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
plug truck in?

How vital is it to plug the truck in over winter? In my apartment complex there's really no way I can run a cord out to my truck, is there any other option? Or is plugging it in not absolutely necessary? I used to plug in my last truck but noticed little to no difference. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

-J
lastcall190 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I cant plug it in either cause im in college. just make sure you leave enough time after you finally get it started to warm up a little before driving. Mine usually gets pretty hard to start around single digit temps but it will start. just a little play with the pedal and starter. White smoke galore but it clears up.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

It helps with starting as we all know how much frigid air effects the starting sequence. By plugging in your block heater, it keeps the coolant warm, thus maintaining a good temp all around the engine. You can help this if you are unable to plug it in by turning the key and engaging the intake grid heater (the wait to start comes on) wait about 15 seconds or so and turn the key back off and restart the grid heater by once again turning the key. this will heat the air more than a single key turn and make it easier to start in cold weather. Also if you dont already, it would be a good idea to use a diesel additive that prevents gelling and boosts cetane.
1994 4x4 Auto, 4.5 inch Lift, 37's, 160 pump, 4in Turbo back straight pipe, K&N FIPK 2, #0 plate, afc ff, sdx 5x12's, BD Wastegate elbow, steering stab bar, DT trac bar, autometer gauges, 1996 ext cab sb body.
majormcneil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,545 Posts
Just make sure you have good batteries and cycle the heaters twice when it gets real cold and you'll be ok.
Beware if you are in underground parking, you might smoke the whole place up.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Thanks for the input guys. I am not in underground parking thankfully so I shouldn't smoke everyone out.

In terms of the additive, I was going to buy Stanadyne (blue label) as it was what I used on my Duramax with great success. Is it just as good on the Cummins or should I wander a different route (I feel that a search is in my future...)?

Also appreciate the tip on the cycling the heaters. Batteries both look reasonably new but I will probably test them before winter gets in full swing.

-J
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

How cold does it get where your at?
you should fill out you signature in the User CP tab
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall190 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I am not in underground parking thankfully so I shouldn't smoke everyone out.

In terms of the additive, I was going to buy Stanadyne (blue label) as it was what I used on my Duramax with great success. Is it just as good on the Cummins or should I wander a different route (I feel that a search is in my future...)?

Also appreciate the tip on the cycling the heaters. Batteries both look reasonably new but I will probably test them before winter gets in full swing.

-J
I would imagine alot of additives are pretty much the same, but my family and friends all agree this has the best sucess in all our trucks. Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy add this and cycle the heater grid as I said above and you'll always have a good start
1994 4x4 Auto, 4.5 inch Lift, 37's, 160 pump, 4in Turbo back straight pipe, K&N FIPK 2, #0 plate, afc ff, sdx 5x12's, BD Wastegate elbow, steering stab bar, DT trac bar, autometer gauges, 1996 ext cab sb body.
majormcneil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I don't plug either one of mine in and they both start great down to lower teens. I don't think plugging in is really necessary until you start getting a lot colder.
RPegram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormcneil View Post
I would imagine alot of additives are pretty much the same, but my family and friends all agree this has the best sucess in all our trucks. Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy add this and cycle the heater grid as I said above and you'll always have a good start
Awesome thank you. That is very widely available around me so that's even better...

I'll round out my sig to help In the meantime, I'm in NJ and the coldest it got last winter was about a week of temps in the low teens high single digits. Other than that, nothing brutal by any means compared to other parts of North America...

-J
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Always broken

Thanked 3,469 Times in 2,222 Posts
Skip the additives. And it should fire up just fine in less than zero temps. If its REAL cold go ahead and plug it in, otherwise just fire it up and let it warm up 15 minutes or so and shes good to go

Quote:
Youve got a forum full of diesel tuners , engineers, after market techs and pretty much every other kinda expert you can imagine. You are on an experts websight.
'strokeThis_'07 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

in the tech articles,is one on the espar diesel fired heaters, diesels like to be warm when they start in cold weather, also look into a lighter weight synthetic diesel engine oil for the winter
Challenger is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

when it is and was 45 degrees here i was and still am pluging it in at night, in the morning i dont have to wait for it to warm up and i have instant heat in the cab so i would recomend pluggin it in if you can.

Old, 01 3500 6spd
94 2500 auto
hoytarchery7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.