FSS blue fusible link ? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
FSS blue fusible link ?

A brief rundown of what I have already done. Finally traced starting problems to the Fuel Shutdown Solenoid intermittently not opening. I can lift it with my hand and it stays open - no surprise.

Unhooked the wiring harness and tested solenoid by jumping it to 12 volts and it works fine on both run and start side. took it off and cleaned it up (probably going to use disk brake caliper grease to lube it unless someone advises me otherwise) Also going to replace the boot as it is deteriorated.

Tested the relay on the firewall and it is also good. Cleaned the contacts on the blue fusible link and the coating just pulled off, wire still intact. The problem is that it does not say anywhere what gauge or size the blue fusible link is. I've read everywhere that it is a 65 amp link, but don't feel like paying $24 for one from genosgarage.com or fostertruck.com when I know I can get one for about $4 at napa. The guy there said that he thought the blue 18 gauge one was a little thin for that many amps.

Soooo, are they color coded and he is wrong or does anyone know what gauge fusible link that I need.

Thanks in advance for any help.
97 2500 excab 6spd 4x4:intake,4" exhaust,60lb vlv, 4kgsk, afc kit,gauges,#10 plate,16* timing,62/65/13 ss turbo,kdp tab,tranny filter-- SDX II injectors,Valair 13" DD organic.
tymrbojangles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also wondering if I should solder on the new one or not as i have heard that soldering raises the resistance. Any truth to this? Should I just crimp on a connector and heat shrink over and call it good?
thanks
97 2500 excab 6spd 4x4:intake,4" exhaust,60lb vlv, 4kgsk, afc kit,gauges,#10 plate,16* timing,62/65/13 ss turbo,kdp tab,tranny filter-- SDX II injectors,Valair 13" DD organic.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,545 Posts
All a fusible link is is a smaller gauge wire than the load carrying wire that has flame resistant insulation with a sand like substance inside that acts like a fire extinguisher when it get hot. It's amp rating depends on length and gauge of the wire.

Chrysler has it's own fusible link color code, all links are 6" long
Chrysler colors are:
Black- 12 gauge for 8 gauge wiring
Red- 14 gauge for 10 gauge
Dark Blue- 16 gauge for 12 gauge
Gray- 18- gauge for 14 gauge
Orange- 20 gauge for 16 gauge
White- 22 gauge for 18 gauge

Many mechanics now just replace fusible links with a maxi fuse and holder available at any auto parts store.

Soldering high amp connections isn't recommended, the heat can melt the solder.
Use crimp connectors.
Stock for one day

Last edited by illflem; 08-12-2009 at 11:23 PM.
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the reply. I had already used 14 gauge fusible link. Just went by the old rule of 4 gauges smaller than the primary wire used, which is what you recommended.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

where did you buy the link from and did that fix your problem? I'm having the same issue and I was thinking of just getting rid of this link and put in a fuse holder and a standard 60 amp fuse.
12valvekris is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

sorry this reply is so late. I bought the fusible link from napa for around 8 dollars and it did fix my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.