Vin # reprogram ???? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Vin # reprogram ????

I just replaced the pcm in my 98 12 valve with a used one, now the electrical problem is fixed but I have the abs, brake and seatbelt light on. The dealer says that they can't clear the lights becaus the vin # in the pcm and the vin # in my truck don't match. I have been told by a few mechanics that it can be done and it makes sense that it can because you can buy factory refurbs... anybody know who can program my PCM with my vin#?
ditchpicklefan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,575 Posts
'98 is an oddball, the PCM has to be specific to that year or it won't work or be reprogrammed.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the right pcm for the truck, i just need to find someone who can program in the vin #
Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the dealer should be able to reprogram the vin and milage into the new PCM... if any of their mechanics have a grain of sense...
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

i've talked to a couple of dealers now and they all say that it can't be done....
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
I'm a tech at a dealership and if my grain of sense is right i think that once a VIN is programmed into a controller it can't be changed.

maybe try some aftermarket company that can completely wipe out the pcm and reprogram it i dunno
Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,575 Posts
When I needed one programed the dealer said to take to Cummins.
Cummins NW said to take to the dealer.
So I finally took it to the dealer, they sent it out to Cummins NW and they actually did it.
It was even right but cost $90.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

last time i had read up on it, the chrysler DRBIII scan tool was able to reprogram the VIN#

Last edited by ykdave; 07-13-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

yeah the drb is able to program the vin but i think once its programmed into a controller it can't be changed. the only time we ever need to program the vin on any vehicle is when the controller is replaced. and obviously at a dealership we don't put in "junkyard" controllers. every car i've worked on the had a "junkyard" pcm had a code for vin mismatch.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i know nothing of the DRB3, so maybe it is, or isnt possible to reprogram the vin without first somehow erasing it.

This is what i got off of the writeup i was reading before... The writeup is based on using a DRB3.

Important Note:

If the Powertrain Control Module has been changed and the correct VIN and mileage have not been programmed, a DTC will be set in the ABS, Air Bag and SKIM modules when equipped. In addition, if the vehicle is equipped with a Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM), Secret Key data must be updated to enable starting.

For ABS and Air Bag systems:

1. Enter correct VIN and Mileage in PCM.
2. Erase codes in ABS and Air Bag modules.

For SKIM Theft Alarm:

1. Connect the DRB to the data link connector.
2. Go to Engine, Misc. and place the SKIM in secured access mode, by using the appropriate PIN code for this vehicle.
3. Select Update the Secret Key data, data will be transferred from the SKIM to the PCM (This is required to allow the vehicle to start with the new PCM).
4. If three attempts are made to enter secured access mode using the incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lock out mode, leave the ignition key in the Run/Start position for one hour. Ensure all accessories are turned off. Also monitor the ( battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

what you are reading is the correct procedure when replacing a controller with a new one. I've been using the drb everyday for about 5 years and have programmed many VINs but i have never erased one and dont think that it's possible with the drb. i'm sure its definitely possible to do with some other type of computer but i don't think that when chrysler made the drb they probably didnt want all the dealerships to go around erasing VIN #s. also i havent seen any 12 valve trucks with a skim module (key with a chip) so you dont have to worry about that.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

True enough, it may be able to change the vin, but im sure if it is it would be a real roundabout way to do it because like you say, im sure they dont want any ol monkey going around changing vin#s!

Maybe just try a place that reman's the PCMs, surely they would be able to set the VIN#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.