I need a 1998 12 valve pcm! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I need a 1998 12 valve pcm!

I have a 1998 12 valve 5spd that I need a PCM for, The mechanic working on it says it HAS TO BE A 1998! thanks for the help!
ditchpicklefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I think you can get them at Orielly auto parts or Autozone. Why are you replacing it? I went round and round with mine when it got wet . After it dried out it was fine. All it controls is the dash cluster ,tach and possibly the airbags or antilock brakes.
FlashPoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
CO President

you can get them at advanced for like 250, and dodge for 600. They have to be flashed for you vin though.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashPoint View Post
I think you can get them at Orielly auto parts or Autozone. Why are you replacing it? I went round and round with mine when it got wet . After it dried out it was fine. All it controls is the dash cluster ,tach and possibly the airbags or antilock brakes.
How do you check to see if the PCM is out? My tach,oil,fuel gauge is not working as well as my ac clutch.
tomtnwlkrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
CO President

You can run this check to make sure it is not the gauge cluster, and if it is not the gauge cluster then it about has to be the PCM.

98+ Ram Instrument Panel Test
Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerqb8 View Post
You can run this check to make sure it is not the gauge cluster, and if it is not the gauge cluster then it about has to be the PCM.

98+ Ram Instrument Panel Test
Not at all true. Both of the supposed bad PCMs I've dealt with were caused by bad connections to the PCM.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtnwlkrs View Post
How do you check to see if the PCM is out? My tach,oil,fuel gauge is not working as well as my ac clutch.
Check and clean all your connections on the engine and batteries as well as the ones going to the body and fuse panel under the hood. A bad ground is the main problem for most electrical problems. When i had my alternator go out i went through all the connections and used dielectric grease on them , thats been two years and i have not had any issues since. Clear paint works good for battery connections and grounds .
Old 05-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know for a fact that the PCM is bad. I have had it to two different mechanics, one being the dealer, and they have both tested the pcm and there are no outputs from it (the charging side)..... I have been through the whole electrical system and the computer controls the alternator and the gauge cluster but the gauges still work on mine, the charging system is bad.
ditchpicklefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
CO President

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflem View Post
Not at all true. Both of the supposed bad PCMs I've dealt with were caused by bad connections to the PCM.
Still a problem with the PCM though, the gauge check just removes that as a problem. Anyhow I know you cane get them for around 250 at advance auto, and they are 600 or so at dodge. i just replaced mine with the same options as he has and it was 600 something at dodge.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Ditchpickle

I would do the Ford voltage regulator option many have used if all your gauges still work. It would be cheaper.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,566 Posts
Quote:
I know for a fact that the PCM is bad. I have had it to two different mechanics, one being the dealer, and they have both tested the PCM and there are no outputs from it
Doesn't mean anything, I've been though the same thing before and a new PCM did nothing.

What you're fighting here are mechanics who aren't used to mechanically controlled engines and are lost when the computer doesn't tell them what's wrong so they blame it on the computer.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflem View Post
Doesn't mean anything, I've been though the same thing before and a new PCM did nothing.

What you're fighting here are mechanics who aren't used to mechanically controlled engines and are lost when the computer doesn't tell them what's wrong so they blame it on the computer.
So, if the gauges all work with the check mentioned before, then what is next. I am going thru the same thing with no tach, oil, fuel and wait to start lit up. The gauges all moved three times. The volt meter is working.

I hate to take it to one of the shops here in town due to the issues Bill mentioned.
tomtnwlkrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.